Thursday, June 27, 2013

SAECO # 301 Plain Base

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I've enjoyed shooting cast bullets from my SAECO # 301 for several years now. It is clearly one of my favorite .30 cal. cast bullets !

About 2 yrs. ago, I sent my 2 cav., SAECO # 301 mold to Buckshot to have the front cavity HP'd.

I was very happy with Rick's work and have killed deer with bullets from that cavity and shot many nice groups also . The target below is a good representation of what the gas checked version of the # 301 will do :

The rear cavity continued to cast a solid bullet with a g/c shank.

For several weeks I've been " OFF & ON " as to the idea of plain basing that cavity. That would still leave me with a gas checked hp from the mold's front cav. that Buckshot hp'd.

Today was the day to " Get it Done ! "

I said to myself .....
" You'll never know unless you try it."
So I went to work with my drill press.

I'm very happy with the work.
Bullets are nice and round on their base at .3125 ". I size just about all of my .30 cal. plain base bullets to .311 ". The nose on this one is .301".
The bullets with no lube now weigh 199.8 grs. So I guess I can say that it is now a 200 gr. cast bullet.

Now for some range work with some of my favorite plain base loads in bullets of this weight in my 30-06 and 308 Win. rifles.

Anyone want to make any early prognostications ?

Ben

Last edited by Ben; Yesterday at 06:42 PM.
That's awesome. I bet it shoots very well.
2013 Blindfolded/Nude boolit casting tournament champion.
When the rain stops, I'll be finding out.

I'm looking forward to sending some of these down range.

Last edited by Ben; Yesterday at 06:19 PM.
I have had the RG4/301 for a long time.I have good groups sometimes but not great averages.I never figured it out as others rave about it.Sounds like you are one of those who has had good luck with it.i dont see why it wouldn't shoot well as a plainbase.I had a 200g Hoch PB of similar shape that did very well.
?When people have tried everything and have discovered that nothing works, they will tend to revert to what they know best?which will often be the tribe, the totem, or the taboo.?
? Christopher Hitchens
I have had the RG4/301 for a long time.I have good groups sometimes but not great averages.I never figured it out as others rave about it.Sounds like you are one of those who has had good luck with it.i dont see why it wouldn't shoot well as a plainbase.I had a 200g Hoch PB of similar shape that did very well.George,

I tried earlier tonight to send you a PM. I couldn't , it said your PM In-Box was full ? ?

Ben

To some small degree the weight distribution ( front to rear of the bullet ) has been shifted to the rear now. Might be a good factor for accuracy ? ?
When the rain stops, I'll be finding out.

I'm looking forward to sending some of these down range.

been busy with a new job.Let me clear it out.
?When people have tried everything and have discovered that nothing works, they will tend to revert to what they know best?which will often be the tribe, the totem, or the taboo.?
? Christopher Hitchens
Very nicely done. I like the fact you use 2400 so much, it is my favorite cast bullet powder for rifle cartridges.

Be sure to let us know how they shoot. Bet they work well.

And rain? Stop? Is it going to stop?

I'll be curious to see how well it works as a PB. I've shot the GC version from several 30-06s with very good to excellent results.
beppe is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts18
whot alloy you used to this bullets? without G / C splicing joint?
Alloy, right now,is air cooled wheel weights.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment