Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Removing lube from a boolit

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Blintersifrid is offline Boolit Bub Join DateApr 2013Posts22

I know, "Why on Earth would you want to remove the lube from a boolit?" (Or maybe something pithier than that.)

I have purchased 500 of these: http://www.missouribullet.com/details.php?prodId=65&category=5&secondary=20&keywords= for use with nwellon's black powder 7.62 Nagant recipe. (I'm not allowed to cast my own yet, SWMBO has spoken.)

According to Missouri Bullet Company's website FAQ, they are lubed with Thompson's Blue Angel (seen here: http://www.bulletlube.com/ ), and I'll need to get it off so I can relube them with a black powder-style lube.

So, what's the best way to do this? Should I just throw these on an old cookie sheet and stick them in a warm oven (the Warm setting, perhaps, since Thompson's says that Blue Angel runs at 125-140 degrees?) until the lube runs off?
I know I want to keep the lead relatively soft, like it already is, and that heat can monkey with the hardness.

Thanks for your suggestions.

'Sifrid

I do it often and this is how. Put some paper towels a couple of layers in the bottom of a sheet pan. Now spread the bullets around on their sides on the pan and pre heat the oven to between 180 to 210 deg. Place the pan in the oven and check it every 10 to 15 minutes. You will see the lube eventually run off into the paper towels. Now paper won't burn so don't worry and heat is too low to effect lead bullets. I often buy bullets that come with smokeless powder lubes and have to change it for black powder. This is about the quickest and easiest way I've found.
Blintersifrid is offline Boolit Bub Join DateApr 2013Posts22
Thank you very much!

'Sifrid

Just go to goodwill and buy a 4 quart pot and boil the lube off. Let it cool and you'll have a wax "lid" that can be removed with a little knife work. I never used Blue Angel so I don't know if it smells or not so I suggest outside on "your" bbq, saves getting SWMBO on the warpath. Don't worry about the heat if the bullets are already soft they'll stay soft. Hot bullet cold water makes a hard bullet, you'll need antimony in your alloy for this to work, and heat will pull back the hardness. Search for "heat treating bullets" you'll find a lot of info. Good luck and welcome to the site. AggieEE
Blintersifrid is offline Boolit Bub Join DateApr 2013Posts22
I think that sounds like a better idea, now that I know I won't mess up the boolits' hardness.

I can even save the trip to Goodwill - I have an old, chipped, enamel pot that I can't use for much of anything else, so I'll dedicate it to this!

Thank you, AggieEE.

'Sifrid

You can boil it off or the best way ive found is to put them in a automotive type parts washer that has a pump to continsuly move the solvent around , put them in a shallow pan and angle the solvent nozzel to create swereling motion of the solvent, in about a hour or so they will be void of solvent, let dry & relube.
I've washed the lube off thousands of commercial cast bullets using Coleman fuel or white gas. I put the bullets in a 1 gal can cover with the fuel, let soak 45 minutes or so, swirl the bullets around to remove residual lube, pour off fuel and then rinse the bullets in hot, hot water. Pour on old bath towel, set in sun to dry. Good as new and ready to relube.

Suggest doing the above outside or in well ventelated area like garage with door open. It is quick, easy and safer and it keeps the wife happy if you're not stinking up the house...........

Larry Gibson

I just yesterday removed some pretty sticky lube from my boolits using a mix of brake cleaner and mineral spirits. About 3:10 ratio between the two. Swirled it, capped it, shook it, let it sit for about an hour.

Came back, swirled some more, and boolits were clean. Sifted liquid from lead, dried on a paper towel. Then rinsed with soap and hot water, ready to go again. Seems pretty similar to what Larry has done.

My solvents were all green from the dissolved lube though. That may be destined for my tumble lube conconction.

I like the idea of the boil method, since you can reuse the lube material

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment