Sunday, June 30, 2013

Sprue Material?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Gtek is offline Boolit Master Join DateJan 2010LocationSpace Coast, FLPosts583

Would anyone know what steel of choice is used for these. Checked my Lyman's and the thickness came in at .122" (small blocks), and .177" (large). My little brain tells me they started life as .125" and .1875" plate and ground for confirmed flat. Think were a little past 4130.
Things I learned today-
1- Lyman will sell you the new spring washer to replace split lock for .25 cents a piece. note- requires
shim for correct stack up on OLD molds, the new screws appear different on shank length .
2- Lyman no longer and does not intend on producing small replacement sprue plate kits.
( It was suggested that I search EBAY) REALLY- That one kind of left a taste in my mouth!
3- I then very kindly ask what the ferrous number of the steel plate they used, answer- proprietary. ( taste got a little stronger)
After explaining the amount of Lyman products and the number of molds that live at this residence did not magically produce any gifts, call politely ended. Just checking in for possible answer before I start the metallurgy journey/analysis in my outer circles. I have a little PP cylindrical mold thing going on in my head and one more hill to cross. Thanks, Gtek
I wouldn't over think it to much, just use some mild 1000 series steel. You can buy surface finished plate and contour saw it out. The reason they wouldn't tell you is they dont know either.
Last edited by Marvin S; Today at 04:08 AM.
yep it only has to cut cold lead.
the hardest you'll be dealing with is what 30 bhn.
some just make 1/4" steel work for them, the heavier steel holds heat better anyway.
get the hole size right and countersink, surface the bottom smooth, and you should be good to go.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

MT Chambers is offline Boolit Master Join DateNov 2006Posts970
Lees are made of aluminum or pot metal, those should be replaced with steel.
Some years ago I read in one of my old casting books that you can also make sprue plates from good aircraft grade aluminium plate. I tried this, and to my surprise it worked very well, in fact I still use them on two of my RCBS molds.
Some years ago I read in one of my old casting books that you can also make sprue plates from good aircraft grade aluminium plate. I tried this, and to my surprise it worked very well, in fact I still use them on two of my RCBS molds.NRA Cast Bullet Guide, I think.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment