Monday, June 24, 2013

Double duty 9mm/.38 mold

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I'm thinking about buying a new mold, a nice Accurate 5 cavity. I've heard nothing but good about them.

I don't have a 9mm mold at the present, and the mold I use for .38 Spl is the little Lee 105swc. I like the bullets, but the two cavity is just too slow. So, I'm thinking about spending the bucks and getting a good one that will work well for both 9mm and .38 (my HP 9mm slugs .357+ so I'd just size them all to .358).

I'm thinking that something around 120 gr would be ideal for both. I like the lighter 105 gr, but haven't used them in 9mm. I wonder if the lighter bullet would reliably cycle a semi auto?

I'm looking right now at something like the 35-125B http://www.accuratemolds.com/catalog.php?page=3

Any thoughts on how this design might work in both wheelguns and autoloaders?

I originally bought the Lee 358-105 SWC for use in a .380 ACP for which it worked quite well. I later started using is in 9mm which behaved like a H&G 68 in .45 ACP. As a plinker it was very accurate and grouped nicely.

In the 9mm, I prefer at least 125 grains so I have used the heck out of the 356-125 2R. Mine drops at .359 and weighs 126 grains with range scrap. I size to .358 for my .380s, 9mms and my .38/.357 S&W M13. A year or so ago I picked up the 355-120 TC for use in the 9mm.this one drops at .3585 and weighs 125 not 120 which I'm happy with. This also shoots quite well in .38 loads and mid .357 loads. Any hotter and I use plain based gas checks from soda can material.

I have read a bunch where folks are using the 358-125 RF in the 9mm but I haven't picked that one up yet. A buddy sent me a couple hundred he cast so I could try them. Try them I will once I have more primers to play with. Just by looking at the boolits I can tell this is another must have mold for use in .38 and 9mm loads.

"Silence in the face of tyranny implies consent, and I do not consent." Mike Vanderbough, April 20, 2013
I know talking about Lee will not help in your pursuit of an Accurate mold but for comparison I use the Lee TL356-124-TC. Mine drop right around the designated weight and shoot very well from either a 9mm or a 38/357 if not sized. I am using Unique between 4.3 and 4.5 grns. I have actually found this bullet to shoot better in my .38's then the 158 grn semi wad cutter I had been using.
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
I got one of the NOE RG 359 135gr RF just for this purpose, it is made to load both 9mm and 38s along with 357s. I believe NOE has them in stock in 5 cavities without the RG feature. I have 3- 9mm, 3 - 38s and 2- 357s, they all shoot them great. either HPed or FN. My mold drops 131 gr. HP and 137 FN with my alloy mixed 50/50 with PB.

For the Republic,

Ken

Screwbolts Lead, smelted lead alloy from Bullet traps of Gun manufacturers, from jacketed Pistol and rifle bullets. Fluxed and skimmed three times with bees wax and pine saw dust. 20 lbs and 40 lbs boxes.

This alloy has been verified by customers and myself to be a BHN of 11.5

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?173-Screwbolts-Lead-Area

???O? ????
I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

smkummer is offline Boolit Master Join DateAug 2007LocationSo. IndianaPosts399
That bullet should work for the 38 provided you crimp forward of the last driving band in the revolver as long as it drops from the mold at least .357 diameter. Maybe you could ask them which mold works best for both? Since it does not have a crimp groove, it will probably not work in a lever rifle. I am using Lee's 356-125TL 2R in a 38 revolver for light training loads at about 700 FPS and these bullets drop over .358 diameter. I am simulating the old 38 short colt for recoil sensitive (women) shooters in a light allow Colt cobra. I have to crimp this bullet past the last TL groove as it almost protrudes from the cylinder of an official police revolver is I crimp on the last micro lube groove. I don't like to go under 125 out of a 38 special because with fixed sights, the bullets usually print too low at the 25 yard range.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

1 comments:

SELECTIVE SCHOOL TUTORING said...

Thanks for the valuable feedback. I think that strategy is sound and can be easily replicable. Great posts. I love this article.
______________________

9mm Once Fired Brass

Post a Comment