Sunday, June 23, 2013

New gun choice dilema




ReplyOld Yesterday, 11:27 PM Alright guys im having a tough time deciding on a new gun. A little background info. Im originally from WA state and I do a ton of hunting there. I just oved to phoenix AZ to go to college. And unfortunately I left all my guns back home. So im lookin for a rifle I can hunt yotes with down here. Im not to worried about hunting big game with it because I hear its just about impossible to get a tag here as a non resident. I am a college student so im on a pretty tight budget. I am pretty much torn between four rifles. I originally wanted either a 223 or a 243. But now that im lookin ive got a decision to make.

First rifle is a savage axis chambered in 243. Its got a bsa 6-24 mil dot scope. I don't know much about bsa but im sure it will get the job done until I can save up for a vortex. Seller wants 500. Rifle,Scope and bipod, Less then 100 rounds through it.Savage .243 W/Detachable Mag - phoenix sports equipment and guns for sale - backpage.com

Second rifle is a savage 17hmr. Comes with the cheapo bushnell 3-9, and five or 7 50 round boxes of ammo. My only worry with this rifle is the chambering. I know 17hmr is a good flat shooting accurate round. BUT im new to AZ and I don't know the ranges ill be shooting at yotes. And I don't know how it would do. Seller wants 350 Savage 17HMR + Ammo for sale - phoenix sports equipment and guns for sale - backpage.com

Third rifle is a savage 25 in 223. I know that's a good rifle. Only downfall is the high price. Seller wants 650. Rifle and scope. Doesn't say anything about the scope and by looking at it I am unfamiliar on it. Maybe one of you will know. Savage model 25 .223 - phoenix sports equipment and guns for sale - backpage.com

Fourth and final rifle is a savage 12fv in 22-250. I love the 22-250. I had one back home in highschool but I sold it. Seller wants 550 rifle only. Savage 12 series - phoenix sports equipment and guns for sale - backpage.com

What do you guys think? I know none of these guns are awesome but im fairly sure any of them will get the job done until I can save up for a custom. Im leanin pretty heavy towards the 17 because its the cheapest and ammo is cheap. And the price leaves me room to get a better scope. I am limited to backpage and such because I don't have an AZ dl and they wont let me buy a rifle here from a store with a WA license. If any of you have a suggestion let me know. I greatly appreciate it.

Reply With Quote Old Today, 05:10 AM The amount being asked for gun #1 (the Axis) is way too high, especially since the scope on it is a BSA, so that's out.
You don't mention the model of Savage on gun #2, but I don't the 17HMR is a good choice for yotes.
Gun #3 might be a great value, if that's a quality scope. Find out what model it is and go from there.
I wouldn't pay quite that much for a used 12FV, but if you got it for $450 and put a $200 scope on it, you'd be in great shape.

But, if you're going to do that, you could buy a new gun and scope for roughly the same price. I like Savage rifles for inexpensive accuracy, but don't overlook the Marlin X guns, either. None of the guns listed strike me as being ideal, based on what you described.

Reply With Quote Old Today, 07:21 AM I don't figure any of those rifles are a screaming deal.

I like looks of the M25 Savage although I don't have experience with them yet. A friend just bought one and had me mount the scope and adjust the trigger. Hope to get some trigger time with it soon. BTW his was in .223 also. A .223 will take coyotes at extended ranges and I consider it a great choice.

Kind a run down on your other choices.

A buddy has taken coyotes with his ,17 HMR, some near 200 yards. I consider it light and from what I've witnessed none dropped where shot.

The 22-250 and .243 are probably your best picks in calibers for prediator hunting. I often use a 22-250 with 55grain V-max. If the bullet comes out its a mess so pick your shots carefully if you are shooting for fur. Exiting will be more of a problem with the .243. Maybe consider game bullets with that one to avoid tearing up the fur.

__________________
Still Learnin' as I go!

NRA Life Member

Reply With Quote Reply




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:40 PM.

View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment