Friday, May 24, 2013

Tumbling brass - deprime first or after tumbling?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

what is the best tumbling method?

There isn't one. Rather, it comes down to one's preference.


Well said 462 , I personally tumble with primers out. Lizard litter and NU-FINISH car polish. Works for me
smokesahoy is offline Boolit Bub Join DateFeb 2013Posts23
I deprime first. So the first time I got media stuck in the flash hole with a primer inserted before I noticed the block, I decided to experiment and fill with powder anyway. Well primer popped out the media and ignited the powder just fine.
rojkoh is offline Boolit Mold Join DateApr 2013Posts17
For pistol brass, I normally tumble with the primer in the case since these can be loaded without using case lube.

For rifle brass, I normally tumble with the primer in, them resize and deprime. I tumble aain to remove the case lube so the primer pockets get cleaned a little, but not much. After the second tumbling, the brass gets trimmed also.

If you are using stainless pins and water, you will want to deprime first or you will trap waer in the primer pocket. The pins do clean the primer pocket pretty well.


We do it differently, Pistol is easy.. but rifle you can deprime, tumble (for me in SS media) and then I come back and size after I uniform the flash hole and primer pocket (but I shoot LONG distances). Once sized, I'll toss it back into the tumbler and tumble for about 30 minutes to cut the lube. One caveat, with uniformed primer pocket (large pistol and rifle), you need to watch for pellets in the flash hole. It does happen from time to time with properly uniformed flash holes.
rojkoh is offline Boolit Mold Join DateApr 2013Posts17
I deprime first. So the first time I got media stuck in the flash hole with a primer inserted before I noticed the block, I decided to experiment and fill with powder anyway. Well primer popped out the media and ignited the powder just fine.Regardless of the fact it worked for you, it's a dangerous practice to fire ammo with the flash hole blocked by media.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment