Thursday, May 9, 2013

8mm, new rifle, new boolit

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Well, as the addiction continues, I picked up another mauser. A K-98 in fair, but kinda rough shape. The ol girl has seen corrosive ammo for sure. After alternating boiling water, steel wool, Hoppes #9, bronze brush, military patches, etc, I think I have it pretty clean. Now, believe this, the chamber is TIGHT! I mean , the brass, made from '06 cases had to be trimmed to minimum specs to close the bolt. But, there is a lot of throat erosion. A friend of mine some time ago, sent me the Lee 8mm Karabiner mold (mine drops at 240 grains) and this is the mold I would like to try. So, perusing the Lyman Cast Bullet Manual, I find that for them, the most accurate load was with Winchester 748. I have a 10 year old pound of this powder still sealed, so time to break it out.
My boolits are water quenched 50/50 WW/pure, gas checked and lubed with LLA. Sized to .323 (that is the only 8mm sizer I could get right now, so before I open it up, I am gonna try it). They load easy in the cases, but BARELY touch the rifling. Even seated out to where the bottom of the boolit is even with the bottom of the neck. So I only loaded up 5 of each powder weight (33 and 35 grains) just to try them. Naturally, any problems will rear their ugly head very quickly.
So wish me luck!
Hopefully, I will get these shot off tomorrow.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
plainsman456 is offline Boolit Master Join DateFeb 2011Posts425
It does get that way .

Good luck at the range.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment