Sunday, May 5, 2013

Hollywood handle

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

OK TEAM HOLLYWOOD, for your approval got the handle installed on the universal today. Pick it up at a tool shop in town that resales old tools.It's not exactly the same as the original Hollywood handle but looks fairly good for the price. Here's the pic.
curiousgeorge is offline Boolit Master Join DateJun 2009LocationKentuckyPosts204
Not bad. Looks very similar to my original. I love my old massive turret press. Lets me keep several dies set up that don't require a lot of leverage to use.

I see that you have the 4-way priming post fixture on your press. I have all the posts, but never came across one of fixtures.

Steve

Hey that turned out great Gearhead!
TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

salpal48 is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateNov 2012LocationYonkers, new yorkPosts64
That a great looking handle. I have an older Hollywood senior with a broken handle . I bought that way. It's broken at the whole that the rod goes through. Do you have the actual length of an original handle and the placement of the whole where the rod slides in.
This would be helpful in making a new one
Sal
NRA Endowment Member
International Ammunition Association
New York State Rifle and Pistol Association
ARTCA
Conceado Nulli
That a great looking handle. I have an older Hollywood senior with a broken handle . I bought that way. It's broken at the whole that the rod goes through. Do you have the actual length of an original handle and the placement of the whole where the rod slides in.
This would be helpful in making a new one
SalMy original (I'm fairly certain) handle is exactly 15 inches long. That's overall, with the handle out of the press.

And my press MAY become Gearhead1s press...

Salpal's press is a Senior, which is a single stage, unlike your Turret Tool. The Senior handle is all Steel like the Turret Tool, but with a hole at one end for either a through rod to hold it or a bolt, depending upon the model. From Sal's description, it is the through rod.
The handles are also longer on the Seniors than the Turret Tools. I was surprised one time when I compared the measurement of just under 20" to my Turret Tool of 15 " as well.

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Senior .........................Turret Tool

Last edited by LUBEDUDE; Yesterday at 10:55 PM.
TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Sal - as you know, installing the handle and removing can be a real PIA on the Seniors. Rather than have someone remove and measure, here is the easy way.

As I mentioned above, the handle is just shy of 20" in length. As far as where to put the hole, just look at the horizontal ram on the press and measure the radius. That is your measurement from the end, if you want it flush. If you want a bit of over hang for more power on the horizontal ram (if there is room) add a bit .

Good Luck

TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

salpal48 is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateNov 2012LocationYonkers, new yorkPosts64
NRA Endowment Member
International Ammunition Association
New York State Rifle and Pistol Association
ARTCA
Conceado Nulli
I will send pics. when i remove it from the press.
Would you consider selling the set of posts. They would go on the press and not for sale on the big E.
salpal48 is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateNov 2012LocationYonkers, new yorkPosts64
If there is anyone looking for Original style hollywood shell holders or priming posts There is a gentleman in Myrtle Point Oregon . I purchased several. 50/70 , 43 spanish , 500 nitro, 11mm mauser.His price for the shell holders are $25.00 with shipping. There all custom made and can be done in any caliber. I found there well made and very heavy . If any one need photo I try to post them. He also make posts to length , adaptor . and conversions to modern equipment. Just a good product and someone who knows old tools. You can E- mail him directly . His name is Gerald Schwartz
elysianfield@outlook.com
Sal
NRA Endowment Member
International Ammunition Association
New York State Rifle and Pistol Association
ARTCA
Conceado Nulli
Here are the two handles off my Hollywood presses. The first three are off the universal three press and the second four are off the senior 4x8 turret press. Hope this help's . God Bless
Hi Lubedude, On your universal three press is that a shot gun crimping die?
For those who have the wooden handles: Have you found a need to wear a glove when using the press alot? I know I did.
Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, Varmint Hunter's Assn, ARTCA, American Legion, & South Cuyahoga Sportsmen's Assn.

"Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery...all else is twaddle!"--Admiral Sir John Fisher, RN
"An armed society is a polite society"--Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC
"You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass"--Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto

For those who have the wooden handles: Have you found a need to wear a glove when using the press alot? I know I did.Howdy Kevin,

On my Model 3 with a Wooden handle, I mainly load big bore pistol and 45-70. I don't recall loading more than 50 qty 45-70 in one setting, including full length sizing. I had no problems with the wood. The only problem I had, is that my bench sets up a little high; so I could use a longer handle for more leverage. I'll probably call Inline Fabrication at some point to rectify that situation.

I could see a problem for you if you are full length sizing your 308 and 06.

TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Hi Lubedude, On your universal three press is that a shot gun crimping die?Howdy Gearhead,

Second attempt, my first response disappeared somewhere.

There is a full set of 3 shotshell dies, but you can only see 2 of them in the photo. I assume you are referring to the real tall die?

That is the Multi-Tool. it deprimes, and works in conjunction with the tool connected beneath it, called the combination Sizer and Wad Seater. It sounds more complicated than it is. However it was a bit of a challenge fiquring it out without directions.

TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment