Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Lee 4-20 Not Dripping

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I've had the pot for a month or so. The first run was OK but the flow started to slow by the end of my casting. I ran a paper clip through the bottom valve which made a slight improvement. I was running the pot between 680-710deg. Per Lee's directons, I left a 1/2 inch of melt in the pot for the next outing. I fired up the pot a few days later and NO flow after reaching 720deg. I tried adjusting the flow set screw counterclockwise and cleaning the bottom valve with a paper clip to no avail. I emptied the pot and removed the rod valve and flow control screw and reamed out the orifice from the top and bottom. Tonight I added some ingots and fired up the pot to near 750deg. Hit the valve knob and Nothing...nada... maybe a drop on the end of the pour valve. I raised the flow control screw to the highest point and turned the valve rod with a screwdriver. Reamed the bottom valve over and over and nothing!! I tried everything on the Lee instruction sheet. Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

thanks,
Phil

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
The ambient temperature, a breeze or wind can keep the bottom of the pot and spout cold enough that the alloy will not flow, regardless its temperature. Use a propane torch to heat the pot's bottom and spout.
I have experienced that same problem, 462 is right it's the temp.
I also discovered this problem early this year the first time I was casting on a cool, cloudy, somewhat windy day. I couldn't even hardly feel a breeze from my open shop door but decided that had to be my problem. I closed the shop door nearest my casting area that I usually have open and opened the farthest one away from my position a little less than 1/2 way to keep some air circulating. That was all it took to get things running normal again. I was amazed at how that affected the pour spout, but it most certainly did.
When I have a problem like that I take one of those long necked lighters for starting a fire or a grill and direct the flame on the spout. This raises the temp of the spot to get the lead flowing. Once the lead flows it tends to continue to work.

Ken

Thanks everyone for all your help......this is a great forum with a great bunch of members!!!
I'll break out the torch tomorrow and give it a shot.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein
The Government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment