Friday, May 3, 2013

Lee turret press

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Picked up a Lee 3 Hole Turret Press today, now gotta get it setup and running. Words of advice??
If you heard my shot, then you weren't the target!
I like using the Lee Precision turret presses in single stage mode without auto-index. But I have seen videos of a dude using one with the priming arm add-on and he was spitting them out fast. This is the priming attachment
http://www.titanreloading.com/priming-tools-and-shell-holders/lee-safety-primer-feed-large-small
"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson
Picked it up because was taking to long using my old single stage press, now got to try to find some extra 3 hole turrets for it so I dont end up changing dies like I did with the single stage. With all the buying going on its almost impossible to find anything.
If you heard my shot, then you weren't the target!
Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers........
I'm So Proud Of My Nation and What It Has Become (insert sarcasm icon)
Out of stock for 4-5 weeks, may have to get some on bavkorder if cant find any in stock anywhere.
If you heard my shot, then you weren't the target!
I used a Lee turret press for a few years and really enjoyed it. The die plates make it a true quick change machine. I loaded many handgun rounds on it. I had a spacer made to raise it up 3" above the bench. If its like my early version was, drill a hole 1" + diameter Hole between the 3 mounting holes. Saves removing the press to remove the spent primers.
Thanks for the info country gent.
If you heard my shot, then you weren't the target!
I still use a Lee 3 holer a lot, it is one of 4 presses I have set up. I like the features of die changes and no need to readjust.

Ken

Screwbolts Lead, smelted lead alloy from Bullet traps of Gun manufacturers, from jacketed Pistol and rifle bullets. Fluxed and skimmed three times with bees wax and pine saw dust. 20 lbs and 40 lbs boxes.

This alloy has been verified by customers and myself to be a BHN of 11.5

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?173-Screwbolts-Lead-Area

???O? ????
I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Thats the main reason I got it, loading 8 different calibers, got tired of swapping dies in my single stage everytime.
If you heard my shot, then you weren't the target!
http://leeprecision.com/4-hole-update-kit-w-ai.html
Lee makes a conversion kit that will make your turret into a four station turret that auto-indexes.
Lee 4-Hole Update Kit with Auto Index includes everything needed to convert a 3-Hole Turret Press to the 4-position auto index tool, you also need to order the new ram (TA2269) if your press does not already auto index

Personally, I would update it. But lots of ammo has been made with the 3 hole turret.

For pistol I actually prefer the three holer to the four. I always preclean if necessary and size my brass then tumble and prime with a handprimer. That way it all gets inspected thoroughly before loading. To actually load on the press first station is powder through die with the powder measure. Second is seating die. Third is crimp. A fourth hole would be redundant. That's how I do it. Of course I might prefer the three holer because I have a lot of die sets on their own turrets and I just don't want to have to buy a whole bunch of new turrets.

Jerry Liles

HOPE THIS HELPS: When you set up the seating and crimping die, be very precise, and take your time. Also, the sizing and depriming die can be used to make the priming tool drop the primers in 'just right'. Just turn it in a little further until the primer works perfectly and lock it there. The pin is long enough to reach the primer to knock it out ok.
Had one for years and have turrets for every die set, hardly ever have to adjust except for different bullets for seating and crimp. No clue as to how many thousands of rounds I've loaded with it over the past years. I would like to get a 4 hole press for the taper crimp die for my .380's and .45 ACP rounds.
Be careful you make sure to get the turret back on right before you pull the handle or you will strip out the little plastic ratchet piece. Order some from Lee because you will need some spares.
"I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery."
- Thomas Jefferson
BW64 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013LocationNevadaPosts1
Picked it up because was taking to long using my old single stage press, now got to try to find some extra 3 hole turrets for it so I dont end up changing dies like I did with the single stage. With all the buying going on its almost impossible to find anything.Don't buy or order just yet. Let me check my stock!

BW

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment