Saturday, May 18, 2013

Loading for a new to me M1903

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Picked up a M1903 a few weeks back.
I have never loaded '06 before or for a milsurp either.
Been doing a lot of reading here and I need some advice as to whether I am starting out on the right foot.

I have cast some 311284's and some 311332's.
They are a bit harder than wheel weights but not a lot harder than that.

I only have a 100 cases. I have a lot of different powders I could try.

Here is my plan:
I was thinking of loading 50 311284's over SR 4759.
Start at 22.0 grains (Starting load in the Lyman 4th edition)
Load 10 with that powder charge, go up .5 grains, load ten more etc.
So I would end up with 10 each at 22.0 grains to 24.0 grains in half grain increments.

The other 50 cases I was thinking of doing the same basic thing with the 311332 and 2400 powder.
Start at 16.0 grains and go up to 18 in half grain increments.

Does this sound like a decent plan to start out with?
Maybe I should stick to one boolit and try two different powders under that one style...
What do you guys think?

Matt

44 Special Articles

With regards to gun control in this country, everyone should be asking themselves one question:
What is it that this government feels they need to do, but can't do, unless the citizens of this nation are first disarmed?

???O? ????

I have had astounding results with 16 grains of 2400 and the 311284 in my '03. Astounding as in 5 shots into a hole the size of a quarter at 100 yards (off the bench). Now maybe to others that's not so astounding but to me it was terrific.
16gr of 2400 (plus or minus 1/2gr) is THE goto load for all 30 cal mil surps when loading cast...For whatever reason, it always works. I especially like it in 30-40 krag.
Jon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I will be offering the GC seater plate for the lyman 45.
Also I have replacement springs for the Lyman 45 lubesizer, If your's is weak or missing, let me know
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment