Tuesday, May 7, 2013

lyman 225415 droping a lil undersize

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I just picked up a lyman 225415 that drops right at 224 I was surprised to see it drop round but not to see that its undersized. I planed on using this mold for the 222 and maybe the AR till the group buy mold gets here. Now I cast a handful of boolits in coww alloy to test the mold out, would lino fix my problem or should I look at lapping or beagleing the mold. So far I have been lucky and not ran into any of my mold dropping small so I only know what I have seen in the threads I have never had to try anything yet and lapping that small of a cavity doesn't look like a fun project.
Try this:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/BDE.pdf

If need be, pm your address and I'll mail you a piece of foil backed tape.

I've got the same mold - same problem. Thinking about sending mine to Eric at hollow point mold service and have him open up the drive bands. But it would be cheaper to find another mold that dropped larger. Still pondering what to do - along with many other projects in front of this one.
Being human is not for sissies.
I'd send it to Eric and have him open the driving bands up to .226/.227 but that's cause I don't trust myself to lap the mold without screwing it up!!! While its there you could get it hollowpointed which would really improve its performance (hopefully, all other things considered)!!!
lino will get you to 225.
i'd do a 50-50 ww/lino mix.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

I was wondering if the lino would make the difference. I just cast the coww to see how the mold ran, and I was impress except with being small. I also just got a 452374 so ill run the pot out and refill with lino
it will gain you about .001.
lapping a mold is super simple.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

I ran the pot half empty and topped off with lino that I have been saving. I have never used lino before and is it normal to run that thin? It pours out alot faster than the plain coww. I have a handful cooling off now ill see if they are large enough in a bit
yep flows like water.
you can run it at @ 600-f and it will give you good fill out.
now you see why I suggested the 50-50 mix.
you can adjust your pot for a slower flow, it really helps on the smaller boolits.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

Yeah, I think ill have to buy more lino the boolits were great looking.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment