Thursday, May 9, 2013

making my own core dies

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

flyguyeddy is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts4

OK here's what I would like to do.

I want to make my own core dies for swaging .224 brass cased ammo from .22lr shells.

I have seen people using lead wire with good results, but I would like to use a mold to make the core from lead I already have (ww).

I am a machinist, with access to a mill and a lathe. I'd like to make my own molds for .224 and .308 copper jacketed rounds. What I want to know, is what size of should they be when done so they fit into the jacket, and how deep should they be? I plan to make my own derimming dies as seen in the "no lathe .22lr derimming dies" thread, then pick up a set of dies from BT sniper for 224 and the copper tube dies for .308 (actually 300aac blackout is the application).

Thoughts? I searched, but I'll admit I might not be looking in the right places.

Around .178 should be about right for .22s
If your plan is to use wheelweights, a massive die might be in order. Some wheelweights are soft.
And some wheelweights don't swage to good.
To lazy to chase arrows.
Clodhopper
flyguyeddy is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts4
Perhaps I should use the stick on wheel weights then? They seem to be much softer than the other type.

I'll just keep the clip on wheel weight alloy for cast boolits.

Take a peek at Corbin's website. He gives basically all the information one would need to make any set of dies, provided the tooling and skills are available. There are a couple members on here who have made their own dies, with varying results. Might send a PM their way and get some guidance. BTsniper will answer most questions as long as he doesn't give away too many secrets as he is justifiably proud of the work he has done.

And welcome aboard!

Perhaps I should use the stick on wheel weights then? They seem to be much softer than the other type.

I'll just keep the clip on wheel weight alloy for cast boolits.

My experience with the SOWW lead is that even that is a little hard, bhn 8-9, for cores. I wouldn't go much above 6 maybe 7 at the most. 5 bhn is the easiest to swage and provides you the least amount or work to swage a bullet.

If all you have is COWW, there are some that might trade you for dead soft lead in the swapping and selling section.

"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789]) Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
Benjamin Franklin
anotherred is offline Boolit Mold Join DateAug 2012Posts19
Alright, for us ignorant ones, what is SOWW and COWW. I'm plenty familiar with wheel weights, just not those acronyms.
khmer6 is online now Boolit Master Join DateJan 2013Posts245
Stick on wheel weights and clip on wheel weights
Utah Shooter is online now Boolit Master Join DateMar 2011LocationWoods Cross UTPosts656khmer6 is online now Boolit Master Join DateJan 2013Posts245
Yeah took it a moment the first time I read that in a guide long ago. One that got me today was IAALBNYL
turtlezx is offline Boolit Man Join DateNov 2011Posts116
WOWW IS
whipped off wheel weight
those are the ones you pick up on the side of the road

keep them seprate from the others. there special the've been tested for high speed flight

flyguyeddy is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts4
WOWW IS
whipped off wheel weight
those are the ones you pick up on the side of the road

keep them seprate from the others. there special the've been tested for high speed flight

this had me laughing for a minute straight!
this had me laughing for a minute straight!WOWW IS
whipped off wheel weight
those are the ones you pick up on the side of the road

keep them seprate from the others. there special the've been tested for high speed flight

Then there's the ROWW, the Ripped Off Wheel Weights, also ones you pick up along the side of the road, you know, in the parking spaces, still attached to the tires?
Space for Witty Signature Line FOR RENT...........Cheap
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment