Wednesday, May 1, 2013

RCBS 22-055 FN In AR Help

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

rnhathaway is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts1

I got a new(to me) mold yesterday and cast, sized and loaded some up today and shot them. I tried 8gr of Unique and they shot well but didn't cycle the bolt. Chronoed them at 1920ish FPS. Lyman manual shows a max charge of 9.0 grs. Should I try higher than that or should I try a different powder?
Thanks,
RNHathaway
I've had better results using 4895. Either IMR or H. Start around 18.5 and work up. I have gone considerably higher with accuracy and no leading.

Nighthunter

IN GOD WE TRUST ...... ALL OTHERS PAY CASH.
Unique is too fast burning to cycle the action. It attains pressure quickly and drops off before the expanding gas can cycle the bolt. Although I don't shoot the RCBS boolit, I do shoot the Lyman 225-415 55 grain boolit. 14 grains of 4227 provides 2250 fps and cycles the action of my Mini 14 and my brothers AR platform rifle with approximately 25,000 CUP. The round is quiet compared to factory loads but a ton of fun to shoot. Factory FMJ loads pierce neat holes into tin cans. The cast boolit shreds tin cans. We are still tweaking with the load depth to maximize accuracy but obtained decent groups at 100 yards and were able to ring a 12" gong at 200 yards while shooting off hand. Good enough for us!
Last edited by fcvan; Today at 07:15 PM.
"A person cannot exercise their right to speak freely if they have been stripped of their ability to defend themselves and repel those forces who would seek to quell their speech." Me
you need enough gas volume to make the bolt go backwards.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment