Tuesday, May 7, 2013

reloading 10mm

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

bludog is offline Boolit Mold Join DateAug 2012Posts6

I'm getting ready to start reloading 10mm. I bought a set of lee deluxe 10mm/40 dies. I set the die so the shell holder touches the die. The problem I'm having is the brass looks like it's sized down to much at the base. I have to size the whole brass because it has a little glock bluge. I know it won't hurt anything but I dislike the way it looks. Is there a better sizer die for 10mm?
How much is "too much"? The sizer die is suppose to eliminate the bulge and size the case back to the proper specs so it will chamber properly.

Maybe it is just an optical illusion since you are used to looking at it with the bulge. Grab a factory 10mm if you have one and compare.

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

bludog is offline Boolit Mold Join DateAug 2012Posts6
I just looked at the brass again, I think my dies is sizing half of the bulge and can't reach the rest. looks like I need a bulge buster die. but everyone is sold out.
khmer6 is online now Boolit Master Join DateJan 2013Posts245
Hey I know what you mean. The base of the brass looks really large compared to the rest of the body. I haven't had any issues in various head stamp out of a g20. Someone on here was selling the bulge buster. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
If you are worried about the bulge and the longevity of your expensive 10mm brass may I recommend and aftermarket barrel which will have a tighter chamber...thus eliminating the bulge??

I own a G29 with a Storm Lake barrel (10mm) and a Lone wolf barrel (40SW), G21 with a Jarvis, and a G23 with a Lone wolf. I am happy with them all. Lone wolf is the cheapest, then Storm Lake, and the Jarvis was the most expensive and required a little fitting on my part. If you go lone wolf, be aware their chambers are sometimes too tight for cast bullets to chamber. I had to send them dummy rounds so they knew how much take off the chamber. If you shoot cast I would highly recommend doing this. Good luck!

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

Oreo is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2009Posts820
Don't trust your eyes. Bust out the calipers and take measurements. Post your results and we can advise better. Off the cuff though, I'd say don't worry about it. Load'em up and shoot'em up. If they funtion fine then there is no problem.
If you don't have a case gauge/chamber checker, pull your barrel, load a 4 or 5 dummy rounds and see if they drop easily into the chamber.

chamber checker from Dillon $15

TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Lee and redding make push through dies for taking the bulge out of cases. I run all the once fired brass through them and then any brass i shoot myself in my 40 or 10mm glocks. Its one more step in loading but the cool thing is its a safe step to let your kid or grandkid do
bludog is offline Boolit Mold Join DateAug 2012Posts6
I'm looking at getting a KKM barrel for my g20, Might order it today.
bludog is offline Boolit Mold Join DateAug 2012Posts6
Lee and redding make push through dies for taking the bulge out of cases. I run all the once fired brass through them and then any brass i shoot myself in my 40 or 10mm glocks. Its one more step in loading but the cool thing is its a safe step to let your kid or grandkid doGood idea find a cheap lee press and set it up for my 10 year old to use it for a bulge buster die only
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment