Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Cast in a Hakim????

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

abunaitoo is offline Boolit Master Join DateFeb 2006LocationKaneohe, HIPosts868

Anyone ever shoot cast in a Hakim????

I've had good results with the "Bob S load" in the M1 Garand.
I was thinking of trying to used the same percentage of powder, by volume, for the 8mm.
Think it would work ????

My go to load for 8x57 uses 2400.
I'm almost sure it won't work the action on the Hakim.
Hakim has an adjustible gas valve, so it might just work.
I'll try a few just to make sure.

Be sure to keep us up on this project.

I have had a Hakim for probably 15 years and have never chambered a round in it.

Need to separate from it during this buying frenzy.

I guess I have kept it around because it reminds me of a M-14 when I handle it.

The sum total of intelligence in the world is a constant, the population is increasing.
I did it many years ago. The slow powder I was using resulted in a lot of particulate matter in the gasses pushing the bolt back. Make sure you wear glasses.
The one I had years ago absolutely destroyed brass when it ejected it. It was no longer reloadable in my opinion - as a result the rifle went on down the road.
The one I had years ago absolutely destroyed brass when it ejected it. It was no longer reloadable in my opinion - as a result the rifle went on down the road.A friend bought an Hakim about 15 years back. He discovered the thing destroyed brass when cycling the action, almost mashed his thumb when he let the slide go forward, unexpectedly. He let it go to another home within a month of first buying it.Robert
The brass damage and NOISE were two of the first things I read about the Hakim.
Both were a let down for me. but supposedly surgical tubing on the brass deflector reduces brass damage. I would think one could tailor the adjustable gas port to reduce the action speed.

Yes, the first time I accidentally allowed the bolt to go forward it made the Garand closure look wimpy.
It does close with authority.

Beautiful machining for a military rifle.

Last edited by TCLouis; 03-31-2013 at 07:22 PM.
The sum total of intelligence in the world is a constant, the population is increasing.
abunaitoo is offline Boolit Master Join DateFeb 2006LocationKaneohe, HIPosts868
I had one a while back. Sold it and wanted it back the next day. We all make stupid mistakes.
When I had it, I never shot cast out of it.
Picked another one up at the last gun show for a reasonable price.
I want to try cast in it.

Even in the Garand, IMR4350 leave a bunch of powder hulls.
They look like unburned powder, but they crumble when touched.
Looks to me like it's just the outside of the powder stick.
I'll probably try some 2400 just to see if it cycles the action.

The Hakim has an adjustible gas system.
When I shot the old one with condoms, I adjusted the gas valve so that the shells wouldn't eject as hard.
Still had to put a rubber bumper on the deflector to stop denting the shells.
I'm hoping the valve opens enough to work the action with fast powder.

Right now I'm having a problem finding a cast boolet that will work.
The Lee I have has been enlarged to .325 to work in the 98k.
Bolt won't close in the Hakim.
Don't have a smaller sizer.

Work in progress.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment