Saturday, May 4, 2013

Magnum rifle primers and 8mm cast boolit loads.

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

ell198679 is offline Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2013Posts20

I can't get ahold of any primers. Except for large magnum rifle primers, and I was curious if anyone had any experience using magnum PR with, regular 8mm loads. For example, using them with 18 grains of Aliant 2400 powder under a 175 grain cast boolit, or with 47 grains of H 380 with a 175 grain spitzer soft point. I would venture to guess that it should work...
I have used em and the only change I made was to reduce my charge by 2 grains.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
ell198679 is offline Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2013Posts20
Was this with the cast boolit load? Or regular load?
curiousgeorge is offline Boolit Master Join DateJun 2009LocationKentuckyPosts203
I haven't used them in my loads, but would not hesitate to do so. The load you mentioned in your post is one of my favorite for the 8mm with the #321297 cast bollit. As the other reply stated, you might want to reduce the load a couple of grains to see how the performance is. You can always add another grain if you think that it will help.

Steve

Last edited by curiousgeorge; Today at 05:47 PM. Reason: specifying cast boolit for my load
ell198679 is offline Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2013Posts20
I am pretty sure the pressure from the cast boolit load, even with magnum primers, is well below the pressure that the military 8mm rifle can handle... I would assume that it would work, but of course I am interested in seeing if people have tried it.
I am in the same boat as you. I have a large surplus of Remington 9 1/2 primers that I needed to find a use. I have been shooting the Lee 175 gr boolit with 19 grs of 2400 and the Rem 9 1/2. Also the same charge and primer under the Lyman 323471. Works well. As mentioned above, the pressure generated by these loads is still well below any max loading. No worries, use those magnum primers.
ell198679 is offline Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2013Posts20
Cool, but aren't Remington 9 1/2 just regular large rifle primers not magnum?
You are correct. I forgot the M part. Thanks for helping me get it straight.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment