Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Noob question: Teflon/ Moly coating for sprue plate?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Noah Mercy is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013LocationSheridan, Wyoming...foot of the BighornsPosts5

Just got a sweet "money" mould for my 45-70 and want that expensive puppy to last. I've been reading some of the threads on mould lubes and wondered if anyone has used Brownell's Teflon/ Moly Oven Cure on the sprue plate and top of the mould blocks.

I've used it to refinish several firearms and have experienced excellent results. On the outside of firearms, it leaves a no-nonsense finish that won't win any beauty contests but sheds water like nothing I've seen before. On internal parts that rub each other, I have put a healthy coating on, baked it to cure it, and then carded it down with four ought steel wool and it leaves a finish that's slicker than snake snot on a glass doorknob. I use it on firearms that will be used in cold weather, so I can forego lubes and greases that could stiffen and hinder the reliability of the gun. It is very reminiscent of the Tennifer finish on the Blocks, errrr...Glocks. Even when the color has been worn away, the firearm still enjoys the protection and lubricity of the coating since it is actually in the "pores" of the metal.

It seems like it would be a natural for boolit moulds, but I'd sure like to get some feedback from anyone who has actual experience with it in this application.

Thanks!

Who knows, might work but Bull Plate lube already has that problem
entirely solved. Light, light coating every so often and you are good
to go.

Bill

If it was easy, anybody could do it.
If God didn't want man to eat animals, he wouldn't have made them out of MEAT!

The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on my list.

Bullplate all the way. It is proven to work, why mess with beta testing if something is around that is known to work?
I'll be the devils advocate a little here and say go ahead and give it a try. (Note that I am a satisfied user of Bullplate lube and recommend it highly.)

I do know that the temperatures a mold and sprue plate reach during pouring is at the upper safe use temperature for Teflon as a solid, so it might break down pretty quickly. But it might be worth a try, who knows? I'd be interested in the results. But for it to be adopted by satisfied BP users will require it to be better in some way, whether that is in the end results, life expectancy, cost, ease of use, etc. and BP is good in all those areas.

Flat nose ($8) and conformal ($8.50) nose punches for SAECO- or Lyman/RCBS-style luber/sizers.

Saeco-to-Lyman/RCBS style nose punch adapters ($12)

Free S&H in USA on above items

Die retention nut drivers for Lyman and RCBS lubers. Start the nut straight every time! ($22+$5 S&H, shipping free w/purchase of two nose punches)

Email keiththeperfessor@gmail.com for more info.

A better product at a lower price, its the American way.

Personal checks, MOs, and PayPal accepted.

Noah Mercy is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013LocationSheridan, Wyoming...foot of the BighornsPosts5
I appreciate the replies, fellas! I've read the excellent reviews on here regarding BullPlate, and certainly wasn't trying to avoid it. I just wanted to use something I already had on hand rather than wait for another mail order item to arrive (Quigley match is coming up quick, donchaknow ). Even though I've been casting for years, this will be my first experience with ladle casting and using virgin metal and I was keenly anticipating turning out some nice long-range plumbium and stannum projectiles. It's my own fault I didn't research it enough beforehand and get some coming already. Guess I'll just bite the...well, you know...and order some BullPlate.

In the future I'll try the Teflon/ Moly on a couple of older moulds and write up a review.

Thanks again!

May well work. At this point, I don't see an advantage to me, since I have Bull Plate lube, and none
of the other. Certainly, having one or the other in stock is a solid reason to use what you have
as long as it works. Experiments are always interesting if one has the time to do it.

I will be looking for your review.

Bill

Last edited by MtGun44; Yesterday at 06:08 PM.
If it was easy, anybody could do it.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment