Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Problem with Universal decap die

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Rich22 is offline Boolit Man Join DateSep 2012Posts108

Got a bit of a problem,

I have a Lee universal decapping die. Broke the pin on it, no problem there, I have spares. Problem is I cannot get the spindle off to replace the pin, it is flat out stuck. 4 applications of kroil and the biggest box end wrench I have that fits and it is still a no go. Let the oil soak in overnight and still nada. Any ideas?

r1kk1 is offline Boolit Master Join DateJun 2007Posts526
A little heat and swap the lock ring for something else and I use a bench vise to tap the wrench. I wonder how in the world it got so tight?

Take care

r1kk1

The 1 Lee that I broke recently was no fault of the of the decap pin, but its a 1 piece. Ordered 2 from Titian @ 2$ each.
http://www.titanreloading.com/lee-replacement-decapper-pin-90292?filter_name=decapper&filter_description=true&filter_sub_category=true

Re-read post, I had the same problem, I took a punch and knocked the spindle thru from the top down that relaxed the collet so I could back out the nut.
300

Last edited by 300winmag; 03-30-2013 at 09:42 AM.
As I was told when I was a child; your elders will make you smarter if you listen. Then when you are older your edlers will teach you WISDOM.
300winmag
r1kk1 is offline Boolit Master Join DateJun 2007Posts526
Should be: use a hammer and tap the wrench while die is tighten on lock ring in vise.

Sorry brain fart

r1kk1

cylinderman is offline Boolit Bub Join DateSep 2012Posts49
I had a difficult one once, don't know if it was overtightened or a burr on the collet nut but it cut into the threads when backing out. I clamped it in vice across the flats and used a large ratchet to finally break it loose. Threads were a little flattened but re assembled fine.
I had a decap pin break in mine after only decapping 10 cases. Called Lee and they replaced the pin. I bought a few replacements also. but haven't broke the one Lee sent me. It was really tight when I changed it out. I think they over tighten them at the factory.
Rich22 is offline Boolit Man Join DateSep 2012Posts108
Bad part is no metal bench vise currently, I have a rubber and plastic one that uses a bar clamp for when I am cleaning the inside of a receiver or something just to lightly hold it in place so I can use both hands. I will try the heat. I should have thought of that, I cannot remember if I tightened it down or if it came from the factory.
Reading this thread made me realize that I don't have a spare for my universal decapper. I just ordered two. Now the original will outlive me for sure.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most." A. Brilliant
Billybumbler is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts5
I haven't broke one..... yet. A good idea may be to use anti seize. What do ya'll think?
Anti-sieze would work fine. Just dont get any on the collet!

If your universal decapper is out of commission, you can use any large size/decap die in a pinch. I have used an old .300Wby die as a universal decapper for years. Works fine.

Yes I can spell, I just can't type!
Ken

NRA Life Member

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

engineer401 is offline Boolit Man Join DateDec 2011LocationYakima, WAPosts137
I have 2 decapping pins on order. I found a spare used decapping die at a pawn shop. Reading this makes me think I should buy it as a backup.
ACrowe25 is offline Boolit Man Join DateFeb 2013Posts97
I have 2 decapping pins on order. I found a spare used decapping die at a pawn shop. Reading this makes me think I should buy it as a backup.Yep. Thus why when I ordered mine... I bought 3! For only a few dollars a pop, they sure make a mess of things when broke and you ahve to wait lol
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment