Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Shotshell reloading question

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

What shotshells have interchangeable load data? and what load data should I use for Universal brand shot shells. I have lots of these but cant find the brand in my lyman shotshell reloading manual
I'm not sure but if you look at one of the old Lee hand loaders they gave load recipe for basic load for shotshells but don't name any brand of hull. For 410 they gave a load recipe that says 12 gr 2400 and 1/2 oz shot in 2 1/2 inch hull. You may be about to work something out along those lines by finding a basic load for the ga & size hulls you have.
STS and AA hulls will have "interchangeability" - at least for target loads. I have loaded over 100,000 that way but I do not "push" pressure limits.

The "Universal" hull is likely a straight walled hull but you need to check that. If it is, you can use Federal recipes. Any load for a tapered hull will be safe in a straight walled hull but you may get gas leakage around the wad and pressures and velocity will be lower.

My advice is to go to the Hodgdon and Alliant web sites for load data. Also, Ihave sent emails to Alliant and even had responses back on a weekend. Ben at Alliant seems to be very helpful.

Universal hulls are made by the same company that makes Estate hulls...Winchester. so the load data are the same in the 12 gauge Universals that I've reloaded this year as I have used in the Estate and Winchester hulls. Federal wads will work but the hulls seem to work better with AA or Winchester wads.

Bruce

I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
Cerberus62 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateSep 2012Posts14
If these are the red Winchester Universal hulls, cut one in half lengthwise and you will se a separate cupped plastic basewad with a noticeable taper, getting thicker near the base. The color is usually white but I have seen red as well.

If this is what you have then you should use data for Winchester AA's.

Do not attempt to use a Federal wad or other wad designed for straight wall hulls, you will have major fit problems.

These are "tapered" hulls and the proper wads are Winchester, Remington and their clones.

Last edited by Cerberus62; Yesterday at 04:23 AM.
thank you bruce and cerberus you hit the nail on the coffin. They have a tapered base wad. I thought the discription looked like a winchester AA but I wasnt sure if I could use AA wads and load data. You guys are awesome thank you. I hope this helps someone else as well.
Cerberus62 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateSep 2012Posts14
No problem, glad to help.

I actually prefer these hulls over the AA's. They crimp better and are easier to find. They hold up to several loadings but I don't feel bad about using them where I will lose them.

Yea stupid me... i just looked at the brass and it said winchester. I take it its a common mistake because i was checking online earlier and many people had asked the same question.
wildlew is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJan 2013LocationLas VegasPosts6
I do thank they are the same as Estate hulls
Cerberus62 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateSep 2012Posts14
They are not the same.

Estates are loaded in Federal paper basewad straight tube hulls. Use Federal Top Gun or "Federal Plastic Hunting Case" data for these

The Winchester Universal hull are built like the new AA-HS hulls and use AA load data.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment