Sunday, May 19, 2013

To add filler or not add filler, that is the question.

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

rnhathaway is offline Boolit Bub Join DateMar 2013LocationCentral NCPosts26

How do I know if I can or should add some sort of filler to my cases(dacron)? Is there some rule of thumb? If it is determined that I do need it, Should I reduce my charge by the same amount so I don't get a pressure spike?
Fillers are used for a couple of reasons. If the powder you are using is position sensitive or very slow burning rate, a filler can help with ballistic uniformity by keeping it back against the primer end of the case and taking up room. Granular fillers like plastic shot buffer or cream of wheat can allow you to shoot slightly under-bore size boolets with moderate accuracy instead of severe leading and key-holes on target. They may also allow you to shoot gas-check design boolits without checks afixed, or in rough, pitted, eroded bores. What they can't do is make a good load shoot better. All loads using filler need to be carefully worked up a little at a time watching for pressure signs.
I have a tendency to use fillers routinely. Dacron as a powder positioner and wheat germ when I want to raise chamber pressure and to protect the boolit bases.
Regards
303Guy

?It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!? Nietzsche

Something to be aware of, polyester is not Dacron - Dacron is polyester. Other polyester fibres can be quite course in comparison to Dacron and probably won't work as well. Dacron has the consistency of cotton wool. It usually melts into a ball and disappears down range.

Don't use cotton wool - it can ignite and cause grass and bush fires. Not always and probably rarely but it can. Wool works just fine but does have a distinctive smell when fired. I got some wool wads from Jeff cut into suitable shotgun wad sizes.

Regards
303Guy

?It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!? Nietzsche

"Something to be aware of, polyester is not Dacron - Dacron is polyester."

Indeed. Dacron is trademark name for Dupont used much like Kleenex, Saran Wrap or Windex.

rnhathaway is offline Boolit Bub Join DateMar 2013LocationCentral NCPosts26
I'm loading a cast 55gr FN RCBS bullet over 18ish grns of RL-7(still working on the right load to get dependable cycling of my bolt). So from the post you referenced, dacron seems to for the bill for his definition of needing filler(medium burning powder, less than 80% fill and lighter bullet). He used 1/2gr for a .30 cal case, so how much should I start with in a .223?

Thanks.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment