Sunday, May 19, 2013

Seating Gas Checks with Lee Sizer

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I've seen that some don't lube the bullets before seating gas checks with the push through sizer. The directions say to lube with Alox, and then size/seat gas check.

Is one method preferable? I'd rather not lead up my sizer if I don't have to, but I can see gas checks seating better on unlubed bullets.

bstone5 is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateApr 2009LocationHouston TXPosts59
I use a little of the Imperial sizing wax before pushing thru the Lee sizer.

I use the Imperial sizing wax on plain cast bullets and powder coated bullets.

Installing the gas checks works best if the Lee sizer is inverted and a hand press is used to push the check and bullet thru the press.

The common press is the 1/2 ton press from Harbor Freight.

If you are using a flat nose design just flip the boolit over and push it through that way. If your mold is tossing them fairly well and they clip right on try dipping them in LLA and letting them dry. Then size.
A set of these makes dipping pretty easy no matter what design: http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/stainless-steel-jewelry-tweezers-111724/
Name: tweeze.jpg<br />Views: 2<br />Size: 13.2 KB
GSSF RSO
NRA RSO
DU

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
George Orwell

These are the times that try men's souls.
Thomas Payne

It doesn't take much lube to go through the sizing die.
I use a rag with a little olive oil drizzled over it, pile a bunch of bullets on the rag and wrap them up and give them a bit of a rub.

I use the beer can gas checks and they don't handle the cookie cutter to well when I pan lube and the cookie cutter won't work on unsized bullits so after I drizzle and size I pan lube, then shove them back through the sizer butt first to seat the check.
Yeah, I know it's tedious, but it works.

Hard work made me what I am today,
Broken and broke
******************************
Bob
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment