Sunday, March 24, 2013

Coleman Stove users, how much weight?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Well I have my Coleman stove (425), and just got in my 12" dutch oven from Harbor Freight (holy **** is it a big oven.) Placed the dutch oven on the stove, and it takes up half the grate surface. Now I'm wondering how much weight the stove can support, I placed a coffee can full of clip on weights (approximately 20lbs) in the dead center and see that the dutch oven will probably hold 100lbs of wheel weights. Guessing I am probably going to have to run the dutch oven well under capacity to keep the stove intact. Anyone else running a similar setup?
Last edited by novalty; Today at 11:12 AM.
No, that dutch oven balongs over a turkey frier or other high capacity burner. Your stove probably doesn't have the BTUs to melt much lead in it, certainly not deep enough to ladel cast. Go to the thrift store and pick up an old 1-2qt SS kitchen pan. This will hold 15-20 lbs and is plenty for that stove. Good to ladle cast from, too.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Smelted one heck of alot of WW's on an old Coleman two burner with the same size DO.
It will work but you will have to run it wide open. Switched over when I found a beat up fish fryer at a local garage sale and have not looked back.

Tom

I've used the exact same setup to smelt with, and the Coleman stove will melt that much lead, but certainly not in a hurry. The danger lies in having that large dutch oven full of molten lead on the grate for that long. The grate gets red hot, and loses a lot of its strength. I don't want any molten lead sloshing around when the grate lets go, especially not a 12" dutch oven full!!
'I have a feeling we're not in Kansas any more, Toto!' Dorothy, in The Wizard of Oz.

My Blog

I think I'll probably start out with this setup and maybe run 40 pounds through my first fill/smelting expedition--then just replenish to that level. Will keep my eyes open for a small propane fish fryer. Guessing it will need to be something on the shorter side, with stout legs if I plan on running the dutch oven anywhere's near capacity.
Someone here reinforced a Coleman grill for casting,
with pics, looked easy enough. If I find it I'll add a link.
Wondering if this Camp Chef propane cooker would work better? A lot of the models I've seen have stamped metal legs, concerned they won't support the weight either.
Wondering if this Camp Chef propane cooker would work better? A lot of the models I've seen have stamped metal legs, concerned they won't support the weight either.I have two of those. That burner will support a 12 inch dutch oven full of alloy, I've done it many times over. If you're working on dirt, put a piece of plywood under it so the legs don't bury in the soil and become out of balance.
Thanks for the input Jim. Looks like I jumped the gun, buying a second, (replacement) Coleman stove, so the Mrs. wouldn't be upset with me using our old one for smelting. Might be posting a Coleman stove on Craigslist to purchase that burner from Cabelas. Looks like I took 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

I'll be smelting in my father's barn which has poured concrete floors and plenty of ventilation. Will sweep up floor first to eliminate an extraneous fire hazards.

Last edited by novalty; Today at 11:52 AM.
Someone posted his reinforcement mod for a Coleman grill
but I can't find it. Used vertical rods under the grill to
support more weight. I used a 1-quart pot on a Coleman
gas stove for years but that's not much lead.
I've smelted everything I've done...Near a ton...on a gasoline 2 burner camp stove using a 4 qt stainless steel soup pot. I fill it full of WW and after smelted and clips removed, it's about 1/2 full of alloy...2 qts...about 30 or 40 lbs I'm guessing ?
It works great !
Jon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I will be offering the GC seater plate for the lyman 45.
Also I have replacement springs for the Lyman 45 lubesizer, If your's is weak or missing, let me know
My Coleman white gas stove would handle 2 quarts (in a 2.5 quart stainless pot) before melt times got unreasonable. 2 quarts of lead is about 47.5 pounds. I smelted and dipper cast an awful lot of lead on my Coleman before moving to a turkey fryer and bottom pour. Never had an issue.
The fish fryer with the extra BTU's and the Dutch oven will make the job go much faster especially if there is a breeze.
I use a 14 Qt. Dutch to smelt in, and either a 8 Qt. or the 14 Qt. to alloy in depending how large of a batch of alloy I am making.

Lead weighs approximately 23 Lbs. a Qt.

Have used an OLD three burner Coleman for YEARS!!!!!!

Once in awhile, I flip the grates over, and have never gotten around to making something heavier.

My pot holds 40+ lbs and the stove supplies enough heat that I can team cast with a buddy, running 4 - 5 molds of mostly 4 - 6 cavity and the stove keeps us casting at a rapid rate as I add back the sprews and 3 - 4lb ingets as needed.

Many lbs of alloy has gone over this old stove!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment