Friday, March 29, 2013

Which Bullet Would You Choose??

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Southern Shooter is offline Boolit Master Join DateSep 2010Posts200

For general use and protection in the woods and field, which bullet would you choose? The 265 grain round-flat nose .45 caliber at 1,020 FPS (left)....or, the 160 grain semi-wadcutter .36 caliber at 1,200 FPS (right)?

Thanks
Name: Bullet Comparison 1.jpg<br />Views: 117<br />Size: 69.7 KB

Last edited by Southern Shooter; Yesterday at 10:07 PM.
Are you talkin' 'bout a .45 Colt or for .45 acp? If I were loading up for .45 Colt I'd use the one on the left. Much larger meplate and they really smack with authority. I guess it's really determined by what you'll be shooting, paper or animals. BC
Jesus said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father but by me."
It's about the hole. Bigger is better, deeper is better unless you're wasting a substantial part of your energy on things beyond your target. Bigger can be had by boolit expansion, but variables in the terminal material can make that unreliable. All other considerations come after these. 1000fps is good for much hole punching. Conversely, more velocity often makes little difference (sometimes is adverse), though more velocity does translate to more damage surrounding the hole.
We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012

This is one of those endless debates that will never end thus endless and can have no simple answer(s).

I like a boolit with some flat on the nose however I want it to have a very sharp square shoulder right in front of the forward driving band.
Many SWC and some TC have such feactures but most FN as the one pictuted in #1 does not.

NRA Endowment Member
Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68
Bigger is better is a great motto.
Screwbolts Lead, smelted lead alloy from Bullet traps of Gun manufacturers, from jacketed Pistol and rifle bullets. Fluxed and skimmed three times with bees wax and pine saw dust. 20 lbs and 40 lbs boxes.

This alloy has been verified by customers and myself to be a BHN of 11.5

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?173-Screwbolts-Lead-Area

???O? ????
I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Which pistol do you shoot better? THat should be the deciding difference.

Lots of Bad Boys have been dropped by a properly placed 38 caliber boolit just as 45 caliber boolits anchor bad boys as well.

Bruce

I Cast my Boolits, Therefore I am Happy.
Neither one. I carry a 44 special these days, for general woods-walking purposes. Haven't had to shoot it yet, but it'll probably do what I need it to do. It seems to shoot pretty straight.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

Since I carry a RBH in 45 Colt for those purposes I'd choose the boolit on the left. I'm looking for a RBH in .357 but I suspect I'll always lean towards the .45. I like chasing big piggies and I like big boolits with big meplats for when a good levergun isn't available.
Life Member NRA, TSRA
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Bullshop asked the $64,000 question. Since we do not know where you live, in the lower 48, I doubt there will be a significant difference in terminal performance between the two.
"Had his shooting been as good as his running, he might have given a better account of himself."
James. C. Henderson
I use the one that was discussed about in your other thread on this subject
#45-360D.
Southern Shooter is offline Boolit Master Join DateSep 2010Posts200
White Eagle, how is that 45-360D working for you? What are you shooting it from and at what velocities? How is the accuracy and grouping?
Southern Shooter is offline Boolit Master Join DateSep 2010Posts200
Well, I live in the South ( central Louisiana and eastern Mississippi). But, I spend time in Colorado, Utah, Idaho, and Wyoming. So, I guess anything that may be problematic in those areas.

BUT, my main thought was for my Southern home and the Utah area.

The 45 cal larger meplat and more mass at 1029 fps.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment