Sunday, March 24, 2013

Core moulds

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I remember some time back about someone taking a LEE 6 cavity mould and using pins that slide up and down so the user can use the same mould but have the ability to change the final weight. I have tried to search for that post but most importantly I trying to locate someone that offers them for sale, any leads?

And this is for the 38cal cores.

Just thinking out loud here. Remember, I do BBQ and shoot. I am NOT a machinist. Or in your case a precision grinder.

What if you drilled the holes all the way through the mould and placed steel rods in the holes held in place by set screws in the side of mold. Adjusting the plugs up or down would decrease or increase the weight.

You could cast a few different weights at one time.

"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789]) Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
Benjamin Franklin
It's not that I can't it's a matter of the equipment I'm used to using to do it with. Well that and getting the right tools for the job thats cost and use 1 time like reamers ($30 including shipping) and the pins, what I would call locator pins and such. I just figured if someone had all the stuff and does it already by the time I figured in tool cost and such I just might break even if it was available.
TomE is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJan 2013LocationSan Diego CountyPosts3
I think this is the link that you want. [URL="http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?172450-Core-Mold"]
I currently have one on order from u.p. north.

Tom

I looked at that link, although very close the threaded pins/rods with the special little end caps look a bit out of my league. The one I saw the rods were hardened pins that pretty much slid up and down adjust the core length and held in place with set screws.
matt they don't have to be perfect just smaller than the core sizer [squirt die]
and slightly heavier than the core you want.
2grs 5 grs don't matter really.
you could use the same drill for the holes and the pins.
the set screws and tap would be the biggest cost [plus the trip to town]
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment