Saturday, March 30, 2013

Slug Crimp Problem / Lyman sabot slug

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

silverman1 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateNov 2011LocationWauseon OhioPosts5

I ran out of WAA12R wads,and a search on here ,Guys were claiming they were using WAA12
white wads.
I tried these,and have not been able to get a good crimp. [I am using AA hulls]
I tried a bunch of Test loads with the WAA12 wads,and used [in a MEC 600 jr] from 40 to 90
Pounds of wad pressure.
I still cannot get the wad deep enough to get a good crimp[I am using 35 gr.4756 powder]
My crimp flares out,and when I do the final crimp,there is a hole in the middle of the fold,and the OAL is longer than a standard case.
I took them outside,and tried to feed them through my 870,and Savage,and the flared case end sometimes hangs up.
I tried the claybusters substitute,and there is a rib,full length down the center of each wad petal,and forcing a sabot slug in,would bulge the case,and it would not chamber.
When I originally tested this mold when it came out,I tried 5 different powders,and the 4756 gave the best accuracy,and best Vel.
We have a shotgun steel challange at the end of the month at our club,and it looks like I am going to have to buy slugs for now!
Can anyone tell me what wad will substitute,and actually work?
With the WAA12R wad,I could seat the wad,and drop the slug in,but with the WAA12 ,I had to drop it in the wad,and seat wad/slug together.
The wad sits so high in the case,the wad flares in with the old crimp,and trying to force the slug in,pushes the petals down into the hull.
I tried to take a claybusters wad,and use a wood gouge to take the rib out,and the base inside is smaller,and the slug will not seat all the way.
H E L P !
Sounds like you better go back to the waa12r the regular AA white wad is for 1 1/8 target loads and the AA12R is for heavier field and magnum loads. So the red wad has a much shorter cushion section than the white wad they aren't interchangeable. You shouldn't have to much problem finding them. FB
"Somebody's gotta go back and get a sh*tload of dimes"
Slim Pickens in Blazing Saddles
mongoosesnipe is offline Boolit Man Join DateJan 2013LocationThe MittenPosts110
I use the waa12r wads with mine not air what I will use when the run out I think there is a claybuster wad that matches the was12r CBWCB113812 so you may want to cheek that out another option is to cut the piston portion out of the white wads since its not really necessary with a slug and just us the seal from the bottom and the cup
silverman1:
Welcome to the CastBoolits.
I use the WAA12 wads, but there is a change in the powder, and charge. I use 30 grains pof Herco, as compared to your 35 grains of 4756. That would be one of the issues. Also, one cannot just indiscriminately change componants (wads) from one height to a taller cusion height without causing problems. If I wanted to change to a WAA12R wad, I would have to change to a different powder also.
If you have a shotshell reloaders manual, you need to check the loads for your particular case, powder, and the wad you are going to be using.
Reguards
Jack
VdoMemorie is offline Boolit Master Join DateMay 2009Posts668
Good morning SilverMan, here is the gauge I use before I start to develop a new load:

choose your powder and wad wisely based on your hull space.

Here are some of the choices of wads that I have check them for height.

Did you know 40 to 60 lbs wad pressure is normal and in case of Herco the powder company reccomends 100lbs if I'm not mistaken or drunk right now!

Look carefully and you will see, I use a nitro card below slug, in wad and in some cases even two!

Life is short and we got to do what ever it takes to make us happy.
Enjoy it while you are at it!

Warmest regards,
Ajay
BlazingSabots@Gmail.com
Blazing Sabots, LLC
http://www.blazingsabots.com/
www.facebook.com/BlazingSabots?ref=hl
http://www.preciousvideomemories.com/
www.facebook.com/pages/Preci...75489969155338

Assembled "stack height" is the key with using AA hulls.
Ajays pictures are "PRICELESS" when it comes to illustrating this. Noting the payload differences in the Win Red and White wads are pretty significant too. I have been using the Claybuster equivalents for 2-3 years now, as the Win AA red have been discontinued for 5+ years, without issue.
AA hulls while plentiful, may not always be the ideal choice for everything used in loading the Lyman Sabot slug.
Pete
Something you might try is to cut the gas seal and cushion legs of your white wads and use the gas seal over the powder then cut fiber wad spacers to go under the shotcup. That may allow you to use what you have available ~ length of fiber wad set to give good crimp. Hard card wads may work too but I would drop the powder charge a few grains just because there won't be as much "give" in the cushion so effectively less volume.

It is worth a try if you can't find what you need.

Longbow

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment