Friday, March 22, 2013

Help... my balls won't fit

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Greeting all,

Cast my first run of OO buck pellets the other day, had a question about lubrication and the guys on the chat set on the straight and narrow.

Started to load some last night and saw almost immediately that these pellets are too big to fit in the typical 3-per-stack triangle conficuration without bulging the hull.

Pellets came from a 6 cavity Lee mold @ .330 each, cut apart with a razor knife loaded into a 2 3/4" Federal hull w/Win AA wads. What the heck have I done wrong?

TID

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei
do the rounds chamber?
i'm sure the 330 diameter is your issue.
i doubt you can do anything to make it better,except maybe build up some mold release in the cavity's.
or squeeze the mold haves together a bit more.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

You owe me a new keyboard for that title.......
The rounds will not chamber reliably. Some do some don't... "death on a cracker" for either home defense or hunting.

I suppose I could simply reduce the number of pellets to allow for a loose stack, perhaps down to 6 or 7.

I've seen some vids on loading buck and ball that only requires a disc check in place of the wad... is this a viable option, or will I need to simply get a
.320 mold?

TID

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei
Cut the pettles off the wad

I have to with my mold

John

Yea, thou I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me. And I carry a SIG
that would work.
you could also reduce the number and add some buffer to help patterning.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

Stacks of three are a tight fit. I was able to do it and they chambered. I will say the original Winchester wad are better than the claybuster versions. The wad petals are thinner. I was also using the old win hulls.

I switched to 8 and 10 pellets of buck shot stacked in pairs of 2's. It worked much better.

Or you can cut the petals off like said above.

OK... now with that in mind (removing the pettles off the wad), should I then lubricate the buckshot... or are the velosities low enough not to bother?

Don't you guys just love rookies?

TID

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.

Galileo Galilei
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment