Thursday, March 21, 2013

bullet recomendations pig hunt

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Looking to take my sons on a pig hunt with handguns one will be using a 44 &the other a 41 mag what sugestions do you have ???????????
Bodydoc447 is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2005Posts757
A good Keith style SWC is a good choice in either. The H&G 503 and the H&G 251 are good ones and have been accurate for me.

Doc

looking at the 503 its in the 290 gr and 250 gr what weight are you using, couldnt find any info on the 251, i was thinking about a seaco #432 i have cast this for years my 629 c dx loves that bullet ,
just wanted to say thanks for the good info and keep it coming,
I killed a pig once.

Any of your choices pretty much are fine. I dont prefer hp's for boar, so take that into consideration. 41 and 44 mags are some of my favorites, but you dont need to run them ultra fast or hard. A medium hardness slug doing just over 1k will kill as well as anything. Hitting them right trumps all the speed you can miss them with. Cast your slugs to around 12 to 14 bhn and run them to 1K fps and enjoy!

I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
Catsmith is online now Boolit Man Join DateSep 2012LocationLouiaianaPosts124
I killed a pig once......lol.

Pretty much any flat profile 41 or 44 mid range load will do the job. As always, pick your shot.

"Geese are but Geese tho' we may think 'em Swans; and Truth will be Truth tho' it sometimes prove mortifying and distasteful." Ben Franklin

RED HORSE US Air Force

I killed a pig once. --X101airborne

If we have to start killing them more than once I'm gonna look into that zombie ammo I saw awhile back.
Big slow chunks of lead that stay together and have a decent frontal area seem to work best. I prefer a medium to large caliber levergun but a Keith or RDO boolit from a revolver should work fine, just avoid the forehead shots. Poor shot placement or less-than-sturdy boolits can make things interesting or frustrating, depends on which way they decide to run.

Life Member NRA, TSRA
Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call Lonesome Dove
Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
well i have the boys tasked with practicing, challanged them to holding a 2 inch group at 50ft for all six at our indoor range we use . kinda fun cause now we have a little comp. going on evry week to see whos top dog.though it will not be long i will have to start messing with there sights to stay on top
Bodydoc447 is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2005Posts757
looking at the 503 its in the 290 gr and 250 gr what weight are you using, couldnt find any info on the 251, i was thinking about a seaco #432 i have cast this for years my 629 c dx loves that bullet ,Mine is the 250 gr SWC. The 251 is a .41 SWC about 220 gr.

Doc

I killed a pig once. --X101airborne

If we have to start killing them more than once I'm gonna look into that zombie ammo I saw awhile back.
.

Now THAT is just dang funny, I dont care who you are.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
well i have the boys tasked with practicing, challanged them to holding a 2 inch group at 50ft for all six at our indoor range we use . kinda fun cause now we have a little comp. going on evry week to see whos top dog.though it will not be long i will have to start messing with there sights to stay on top Lemme tell ya, I enjoy that more than anything. People you like (friends) and people you love (family) having some friendly competition going on. You want to learn how to shoot? Give a friendly competition a try. I never learned to shoot long range (50 yards plus) without my friend Lee. And he schooled me more than once. Iffn Im gonna lose to someone, let me at least like em. Otherwise Im just gonna go crazy(er).
I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
harley45 is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2005LocationIndianaPosts322
I married a pig once!! I've also killed a few. I agree fully on the flat nose design at 1000+ fps
I wouldn't have a problem with any SWC or WFN at 1200 - 1400+ fps with either cartridge (240+ gr for the .44 & 210+ gr for the .41.). However, in the .44 magnum I prefer the 429640HP (mine is 270 gr fully dressed) over a safe max load of H110. In the .41 Magnum I use the 210 gr RCBS SWC HP'd with the Forster 1/8" HP tool over a max load of 2400. Both bullets are cast of a softer malleable alloy that offers good expansion and weight retention with most often giving through and through for penetration. I use 6 to 7 1/2" barreled revolvers for hunting so the velocities are in the 1350 - 1450 fps range.

I too have killed a pig once.....dated a couple also (alcohol was involved) but didn't kill them though I thought of killing myself the morning after to keep from embarrasing my dog...........never married one though........I am older and smarter now, or at least I like to think so.........

Larry Gibson

Liberty'sSon is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2013LocationAmerican by birth, Southern by the Grace of GodPosts4
What are the opinions of others here on the suitability of a subsonic (about 1000fps) roughly 200 to 250 grain cast boolit from a 300 blackout for pigs?
I did it and I dont care for it. A sub load just does not do enough to the animal to give it a quick death and I dont like going into thick brush to follow up a hog. I am a far cry from Peter Capstick.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
Liberty'sSon is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2013LocationAmerican by birth, Southern by the Grace of GodPosts4
Thanks Airborne, that's pretty much what I figured. Just looking for confirmation.
Now not to say impossible, especially if you can get head shots. I just get the heeby jeebies hearing that hog thrashing around in the brush after being shot knowing that I am about to INTENTIONALLY go in after it.
I think I would rather (insert something insane and painful here).
I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
just wanted to say thanks again you guys are a vast well of knowledge and my bucket is never full so keep it coming !
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment