Wednesday, March 20, 2013

First casts, any recommendations?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Don't cast your first dozen bullets too fast either. Hold them in the mold for an extra few seconds and it will help the pins heat up faster.
I'm actually a little surprised that nobody mentioned he might try a "standard" mold as opposed to an HP mold to build his skill set and confidence level and work out the basics of temperature needs..... I used several different molds and cast several thousand boolits before I ever attempted using an HP mold- and I was glad I did.

Maybe that's the only mold you have? If so, the above advice is pretty darned sound.

The Government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Thanks, I agree. Wish I could have started with my other lee 6 cavity SWC I have, but both handles I have on order have been on back order for almost a month.

Another thing I forgot to ask, should I be quenching these HP's?

"We can't help everyone, but everyone can help someone" -Ronald Reagan
Thanks, I agree. Wish I could have started with my other lee 6 cavity SWC I have, but both handles I have on order have been on back order for almost a month.

Another thing I forgot to ask, should I be quenching these HP's?

Depends on the alloy you're using and what you want to get out of 'em, speed, size, etc...... If you're just plinkin' away, alloy is not too hard and not too soft and you just want to load 'em to standard velocities, don't bother with the quenching. Now it might be different for you, but I don't quench ANY of my plinkin' rounds and there are some who believe a soft but malleable alloy is best for HP's to expand correctly at standard velocities.

As you see, there are many variable that canno be answered correctly without answers to some of these questions, but I get the feeling you just want to go out and shoot? So, just shoot away and you'll see.

The Government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
I start pouring with the sprue plate open, leave the mold closed for a long time, then open. When they start to get good looking I close the sprue plate. Do one hole at a time on 6x mould. Yes I use a hot plate to preheat, but this does save me time and culls. My moulds are alum.
MT Chambers is offline Boolit Master Join DateNov 2006Posts877
a.) Mold/pin not hot enough
or
b.) Mold not cleaned 100% initially
or
c.) prep. liquid found it's way into cavity/ies
or any combination thereof.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment