I was re-reading chapters in my reloading manuals about neck-sizing rifle cartridges after being fire-formed in my gun. Yeah, lee mostly.

Then thought, why not pistol cartridges? The case has expanded to fit my chamber, and obviously is big enough for my boolit, so why the full length resize?

I put a few 45 acp cases through the sizer die. It took 3-4 thousandths off the ID and OD at case mouth. Went from 451 ID to 448 ID. WTF?

So I backed out my resizing/depriming die until it did nothing to the cartridges. Moved the decapper rod to still punch out the old primer.

Backed out the flare die until no flare. Boolit seated about the same as usual, with a little less resistance than usual.

Tried the plunk test... Pass!

Tapped the boolit tip hard on the bench... No change to OAL. So neck tension still seems pretty good.

Ran through the lee FCD with no crimp, just case sizing, and it did almost nothing. Cinched it down to provide the slightest crimp, and things seemed no worse.

My cases have almost perfectly straight walls now (no bulge), and my case working has been reduced to a minimum. As far as I can tell yet, my boolits are also not being sized down at all by the case or the FCD.

Does anyone else skip sizing their 45 acp cases? What problems am I failing to see?

I feel like I just stumbled into a method to achieve the reloading practices I hear so many here talk about, including neglecting crimp and minimal flare.