Monday, March 25, 2013

scratched die

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I recentlybought a set of RCBS dies in 38 cal when I went to use them I found that the sizing die has some bad scratching in side the die and scratches the **** out of my brass how can I or can I fix this die?
I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees~!
The die may not be scratched. I've had steel dies that scratched cases due to brass/grit on the die walls. This was because of improper lube and brass transfer to the die walls. Once it starts it keeps building up and scratching cases deeper.

I soaked the inside of the die with copper solvent or kroil. Then ran a tight fitting patch into the die on a mandrel and spun with a drill to polish the interior and knock off the brass buildup.

Anyway that's been my experience. If the die is truly scratched a little flitz on the tight patch should fix the problem.

Brad

you might well be right it looks like brass dust in there now all I have to do is find a solvent. What about brake fluid ? I live in a small town with limited access to most anything lol
I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees~!
Ranger, any of the bore cleaners that say they contain copper solvent will work. Or the auto parts stores in Abilene may have Kroil (brand name). If that is not avialable, use auto body rubbing compound (fine) mixed with oil. Just go slow and dont try to remove metal.

Yes I can spell, I just can't type!
Ken

NRA Life Member

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

"The remedy for evil men is not the abrogation of the rights of law abiding citizens. The remedy for evil men is the gallows." Thomas Jefferson

"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them." George Mason Co-author of the Second Ammemdment

Bwana is offline Boolit Master Join DateNov 2009Posts676
Short piece of wood dowel and a strip of oiled wet/dry sandpaper (400 or finer) and polish it up with a drill. Done it several times over the years.
Thanks for all of the info I will try them when I get home from work thanks.
I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees~!
What Bwana said. Chase it Flitz on a piece of cloth. Mirror finish.

Shiloh

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
Bertrand de Jouvenel

?Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.? ? Joseph P. Martino

?If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.? ? Milton Friedman

I routinely polish all of my sizing dies. Not only does it remove any scratches, but reduces the amount of force needed to size the cases. I do this with handgun and rifle dies alike. Here is how I do it;

1. I clean the inside of the die with alcohol.

2. I wrap strips of paper shop towels (they are stronger than kitchen paper towels) around a bore mop of the right caliber and slather the outside of the paper with metal polish.

3. I use Mother's Mag polish because I have some around. Any kind of metal polish will work, including tooth paste.

4. Spin the mop/paper/polish in the die. You can use a hand drill, drill press or in my case a lathe. It only takes a few in and out passes to get the job done. A very quick process.

5. I then clean the die again with alcohol and that it that.

You are not likely to notice the reduction of force with a loading press, but use a hand die and it will become apparent very quickly.

To teach their own, but the thought of using any kind of abrasive paper in the die, no matter how fine, make me queasy at my stomach. You are going to be removing some metal and that is not the idea.

Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.
Bwana is offline Boolit Master Join DateNov 2009Posts676
"To teach their own, but the thought of using any kind of abrasive paper in the die, no matter how fine, make me queasy at my stomach. You are going to be removing some metal and that is not the idea."

Take some anti-acid and your tummy will feel better. Your sizing die will be ok too.

I know a guy that swore by using steel wool wrapped around a bore brush chucked in a drill to de-lead revolver barrels! If you create a brushed or satin finish, you have removed metal which is not necessary to remove brass or grime from a die. Go gentle with a polish...it works with no risk to the dies finish. If you have a die that is truely scratched into the die's metal, more agressive methods may be in order but, some degree of sizing change will occur, however so slight it may be.
Last edited by johnnybar; Today at 09:43 AM.
I have repaired a few with abrasive cloth and a drill. Go slow, less is more. After all, if it's scratching brass what do you have to lose?
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment