Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fan for venting system ?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I am getting things together for a ventilation system in my garage and would like to put an inline fan in a 4" tube and cannot seem to find a fan with enough CFM for what I think I need to properly pull the fumes from my casting area. I would like to stick with the 4" since the outside vents, flexible hose and etc is readily available for that size. The highest cfm I can find is 135 CFM. Is that enough to pull the fumes out or do I need to go to 6" which I can get a 450CFM
A 4inch will be ok ! just fabricate a hood thats about 12 inches in diameter to cover casting pot and surrounding area . i had a HVAC friend fab one for me from duct meterial , or perhaps you could modify a old kitchen range hood for your needs.
Google Dayton Blowers. Grainger sells them. They make a bunch of different models for any application you can think of.
I'm building my vent system for the ingot operation right now. A 10 inch squirrel cage fan. The hood is next.
if your just covering a casting area, I'd think a kitchen range hood would be adequate. Got a 2nd hand building supply type store near by?
We have one called "Restore" pullouts from all kinds of remodels etc, range hoods runs run 3-10 bucks, and they usually have a light in'em!
i actually have a used range hood a friend gave me but I did not think that would pull enough air volume for my needs. My experience with range hoods is that they do not do a whole lot. But...I have been wrong before.
Most range hoods don't work because they are not vented to the outside. 90% have that cheesy filter in them and vent back into the kitchen. I bet the one in your house is that way. Out of all the kitchens I have helped tear our and install I have only seen two vented outside. Nobody wants to loose the cupboard space above the stove to the vent system and they don't want a hole cut in the wall outside the kitchen. In that application you would be better off just mounting a light above your stove and not even wasting the money on the fan. I bet the one you have from your friend still has the big round vent plug still in the hole for outside venting. Back to the cheesy filter.. Smoke rises, as does heat. Wood stoves create draw by heating the chimney so no fan is needed once you warm the pipe. In this case no pipe warming but vary little draw is needed to encourage the smoke and heat to go up and out. That's what it wants to do.

Crawl under the smoke and heat in a house fire.

?Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!?
If you are smelting wheel weights or lead sewer pipe in your garage than dis-regard what I said. I am talking about casting pots in the garage and relativity clean ingots.

Smelting is strictly an outside thing. I skin skunks in my garage and there is no way I would smelt poo pipe or wheel weights in there.

?Work hard! Millions on welfare depend on it!?
just wondering if you have looked at the inline bilge blowersfor boats not sure of the cfm?
Let's back up, tell us if you are in a corner of garage, along a wall, if you want to use your kitchen hood to capture the air, how far your exhaust device is from the lead being cast The more info. you provide the better. You want to draw the fumes away from you and towards your hood or exhaust. If we know your layout the easier to help you in your design. I just happen to know a few things to help you. The 4" is small and does not do very much, if you add your flex hose it drastically reduces airflow.
what kind of cfm do we need to move the lead fumes? I am in the process of building a place to cast. mine will have three sides and a top(this is where i plan to mount the fan or fans) and the exhaust hose. i found some 6" flex hose that i plan to use for the exhaust to the outside. the top of my hood will be approximately 16 inches from the top of my pot,and my table is 2ft by 2ft
just wondering if you have looked at the inline bilge blowersfor boats not sure of the cfm?That is a good idea. Did a quick search and came up with this. Only problem is it is a 12 volt system.

4" BluMaxx Premium Bilge Blowers feature statically & dynamically balanced blades, extra shaft support, sealed & shrink wrapped inline motor, and molded wire relief for strong connections. All of those extra features add up to a quiet blower that lasts longer! Meets or exceeds appropriate safety standards issued by UL, NMMA, ABYC, USCG, and CE. This blower has a three year limited warranty... something you won't find on most OEM blowers! Generates 240 CFM to ventilate your engine compartment fast! Draws 4.5 amps at 12V, rated for an 8 amp fuse.
http://www.replacementboatparts.com/4bilgeblower.aspx

Liberalism: Moochers Electing Looters to Steal from Producers........
I'm So Proud Of My Nation and What It Has Become (insert sarcasm icon)
what kind of cfm do we need to move the lead fumes? I am in the process of building a place to cast. mine will have three sides and a top(this is where i plan to mount the fan or fans) and the exhaust hose. i found some 6" flex hose that i plan to use for the exhaust to the outside. the top of my hood will be approximately 16 inches from the top of my pot,and my table is 2ft by 2ftJimbo,

It isn't the lead fumes, (if you have the lead hot enough to vaporize, you have it about three times to hot) as the odors from the fluxing/ reducing agent you are using.

To the original poster, my thought was using the fan from a dust collector stup for a woodworking shop. I think they are designed to run with four inch ducts. My self I just open a door and put a box fan in it to suck the air out.

Robert

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment