Wednesday, March 27, 2013

.30 caliber Boolit design

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

What I struggle with most when designing a boolit is the lube groove configuration and I'm wondering if there's been any recent research regarding this aspect of boolit design specifically for .30 caliber (or other small bore; i.e., .22"-.32") rifles. I want to get a couple high BC (approx. .400) molds cut for my '06, the first one shall be a PB design to be followed by a similar one with a gas check. The .400 BC requirement isn't all that difficult with noses in the 7/16" long neighborhood, with .190" meplats as long as the boolit weight is in the 190-200 grain range (about 17/16" overall length). What I'm having trouble with is "guessing" whether short grooves and/or driving bands are better than long ones. I don't want a bore riding design so I've decided on a long secant ogive sitting on top of at least 60% bearing surface.

MJ

Nah, it's not that complicated.

OK, here's another way to approach it... how much lube should a rifle boolit carry? A half grain? More? Less? Let's assume one has already determined their ultimate boolit lube.

MJ

I just shoot em', I don't design them.

I leave that to smart folks like you.

Ben

If you look at the Lee 230gr mold that Midway sells this may help you out. It is a tumble lube design and I have fired it with and without a gas check with no leading. It does not hold much lube.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment