Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Noob Looking For Suggestions For A .380 Mold

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

First of all I am very new to reloading and casting, I am still waiting for most of my equipment to come off of "Backorder". I have been doing allot of reading and lurking around the forum while I wait. I would like to reload .40S&W and .380 ACP to start with, that is what my wife and I shoot. I would like to reload .380 90-95 gr. SWC boolits for my wife to use in target shooting, but I am having trouble finding a SWC mold in that size. Does anyone have suggestions?
Normally I'd suggest mastering reloading with jacketed bullets before diving into casting but I understand that ammo is pretty scarce right now. Slug your barrel before you start buying moulds and sizing dies so you know what you got. For the .380 the LEE 358-105 and LEE 356-102 are good to start. ALWAYS start low and work up your loads. Make sure you have a couple of manuals and if your stuck then ask questions.
No law ever stopped a criminal. If you disagree then you need to look up the word "criminal".

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Now how do you lose your rights? Do you see where I'm coming from . . .

Thanks, I have a Lyman 49th ed. and plan on getting another one or two. I have also went to the local library and checked out the only book they had on reloading, The Reloader's Bible, by Don Geary, it's pretty old but still answered a few questions for me.
country gent is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013LocationNorthwest OhioPosts18
I use bullets from 90-100 grns in 380 round nose or trunctuated cone style since this is what these pistols were desighned around. Use your manual work up to reliable feeding and function with acepptable accuracy. Keep detailed notes so when the batch runs out it can be duplicated easily.
Boolseye is offline Boolit Master Join DateOct 2010LocationVT, that Green Mountain StatePosts514
For the .380 the LEE 358-105 and LEE 356-102 are good to start. couldn't have said it better. And I, for one, would stop there.
The Lyman 49th edition is a good book. I also have their casting book - lots of good stuff in that one. I would also recommend The ABCs of Reloading 8th Edition and of course Glen Fryxell's : From Ingot to Target. You can find a copy here:

http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm

No law ever stopped a criminal. If you disagree then you need to look up the word "criminal".

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time. Now how do you lose your rights? Do you see where I'm coming from . . .

I use a Lyman 358424 (IIRC) single cav mold for my .380s. It drops a 92gr LRN. Its one of two Lyman molds that I have and the others are all Lee. PPGB do you know anyone around you that reloads or cast? Is there a gunshop near by that deals in reloading supplies, they maybe able to give you a short course on reloading. Enjoy and be safe.

CD

De Oppresso Liber

Irag: 91,03,04,05,06,08 & 09'
Afghanistan: 09,10, & 11'

I suppose I'll try to set a few minds at ease concerning my newness to reloading and boolit casting. I have been around firearms my entire life, when I was a young teenager my Dad managed and operated a trap shooting club in Southern Illinois for a few years and reloaded multiple thousands of rounds of shotgun ammo for members and customers. Of course I was frequently around to help out (ie. free labor). I know that shotgun and metallic reloading are different in several ways but the basic procedures and safety concerns are very similar. I also have prior military, including handling artillery rounds and powder in a field artillery service battery, and law enforcement experience. So while I am a NOOB to metallic reloading and boolit casting, I am very much aware of the safety concerns and attention to detail required to venture into to this new hobby.

As I said, I already have Lyman's 49th and I have already downloaded Glen Fryxell's : From Ingot to Target and am going to take it to Kinko's this afternoon to have it printed and spiral bound, I also intend to buy copies of:

Hornady "Handbook of Cartridge Reloading: 9th Edition" Reloading Manual

Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, Revised" Reloading Manual

Lyman "Cast Bullet Handbook: 4th Edition" Book

Loadbooks USA "40 S&W and 10mm Auto" Reloading Manual

Loadbooks USA "380 ACP" Reloading Manual

These, I'm sure, are only the beginning of my future library.

Unfortunately, I don't know any local reloaders, I'm sure there are many, but I am fortunate to live within 10 miles of Graf and Son's in Mexico, MO and about 25 miles from Midway USA in Columbia, MO. I'm sure that Graf's will answer questions I might have, but they seem to be extremely busy in the wake of recent events. Midway, unfortunately, doesn't really have a retail front to their operation so it's difficult to find someone over there to talk to. I am also looking at taking an NRA Basic metallic reloading course, but the only one near me is not until August.

I hope this sets a few minds at ease and I really hope that this doesn't make me sound like a smart *** or anything, that's not my intent. But, I know that many people are somewhat reluctant to give allot of information, and rightly so, to someone they feel may not understand and appreciate all the hazards involved.

I like the Lee 105gr. mold. For me with lube they are 111gr. They shoot very good in an Astra Constable and KelTec P3AT. I size them @ .356.
The Lee 102 is an excellent bullet design. Lee 2 cavity moulds are kinda flimsy, but will get the job done. Once you are set up and casting away you might want a mold with more than 2 cavities. Accurate Molds has a nice looking 100 grain in the catalog, I haven't tried it. Yet.

My old 380 required the Lee 105 to be seated too deeply and I wasn't able to work up a load that really worked well. It may be OK in your pistol, since there are many casters that seem to use the 110's for their 380's I'm probably the odd man out. EMC45 has good results with it, maybe I'll try it again in my Sig P232. I had a CZ before.

Last edited by 357shooter; Today at 10:46 AM.
Second on the Lyman 49th AND the lasc.us website. It is so full of great information, many of the articles I've read now like four or five times over AND one of our very own on this forum is the owner of lasc.us. The Glen Fryxell articles are just outstanding, and he too is a member of Castboolits.

Someone suggested starting with jacketed bullets to learn, but I would argue that since I started with cast and only load jacketed once in a great while. Usually only in some rifles, but even then I load casst mostly in them as well. Given the great info and suggestions on the topic you will find here and on the "Ingot to target" as well as the 49th Lyman's, you will have PLENTY of info to get 'er done correctly!

Sounds like you've already started a "Loading Library"(!), so all that learning really IS the best part of the fun in all this.

Welcome to the forum and good luck casting, dude!
Paul

The Government that robs from Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul.
Always looking for Dillon RL-300's!.
I think there's a proposed group buy going on now in the group buy section. It's for the Ranch Dog .380 boolit. Very good mold. Nice wide meplat. Later on, you'll wish you had gotten one !!!
enjoy Mike
I saw Elvis at 1000 feet. John Force
Some of the companies like Sinclair that sell reloading equipment have videos on various aspects of reloading. I think RCBS also has a video on casting.
Load info is available free on the powder companies websites This is a good place to double check the info in the manuals and is usually the latest info available. A call will also get you free advise.
I se the Lee 105gr RN in my OMC 380 and it works well. Some of these little guns are picky about what they will feed. The RN is one I have never had any feeding problems with.
If you buy a Lee mold treat it gently and set it on something before closing it as this helps align the 2 halves. I use a steel plate or a piece of oak trim on my bench to do this. Time will tell if the new design Lee 2 cavity molds are good or not. My first one has to go back to Lee as the one cavity half is not lined up with it's mate.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment