Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Speed Limit for BTs 224 bullets

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Wooly is offline Boolit Bub Join DateSep 2010LocationIdahoPosts23

Well,I don`t think there is one ! Brian, since he was bored,Chuck took some of the bullets I made at your house & stuffed them into a 22-250. They will go 3620, I am told. He was strokin them along with 35 grains of 4064. 34.6 was 3500 fps & no issues. 35 grains was 3620 & primers looked a little problematic. Our question is this; is the 22rf jacket maybe a little harder than the Sierra jacket he had been shooting ? unfortunately,he did not think to recover the bullets out of the dirt bank he shot into. Be interesting to look them over. Don.
Smokin7mm is offline Boolit Man Join DateNov 2009LocationWashingtonPosts149
There was a thread before on this topic and in my experience it is not so much the speed but a combination of speed & twist. I think the twist has more of an impact. I have shot 6mm bullets made from 22mag cases from my 243 with a 1-10" twist with no issues at around 2900fps. Also in my 6mmTCU with a 1-7" twist at 2200fps with no problems. My buddy shot some of these same bullets in his 6mmBR with the exact same barrel (make and twist) as my 6mmTCU but was pushing them at around 2600fps and they were not making it to the target.
Bret
Pushing 22LR jackets to their limits needs the proper swaging procedures followed to a tee. Improper core seating will lead to premature failure down range.

If you do your part, you can push them to regular jacketed velocities.

"The right of the people to keep and bear...arms shall not be infringed. A well regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the best and most natural defense of a free country..." (James Madison, I Annals of Congress 434 [June 8, 1789]) Once the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic.
Benjamin Franklin
Every lot of projectiles has their own limitations. Period. ... felix
I have never been able to drive a jacketed bullet to fast. Out of my improved 220 swift I have hit 4,300. It has a 14 twist barrel.

However, I have been able to over spin jacketed bullets. In .223 I have 14, 13, 12, 9, 8, 7.7, 7 and 6.5 twists. The fast twist ones are on match rifles for heavy bullets. Once they stop giving match accuracy they get used for prairie dog rifles. Fast twists coupled with slightly eroded bores can be hard on 40 to 52 grain bullets. With 40 grains out of the 6.5 twist the rpm is over 410,000.

In the .223 I start getting bullet failures in the 8 twists and faster.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment