Saturday, March 30, 2013

.41 mag. cylinder throat reaming

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Sorry the only .41 cal. throat reamer I could find was from PTG and it was a .408 dia. Wish I could help.

....I'm sure that PTG would cut you a .409 or .410 reamer, but you'd have to call for pricing.
http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

The .408 was $66. What they would charge for a custom size, I do not know.
Again, wish I could be more helpful.

Last edited by John 242; Today at 01:59 AM.
Yeah, I'll think of something witty later...
John T.
Tatume is online now Boolit Master Join DateJan 2010LocationTom, in Gloucester, VAPosts710
Please don't get angry at me for suggesting it, but I would recommend that you clean and check your throats again with a plug gauge (a Sierra bullet will do). If it won't accept a 0.410" plug Ruger should fix it for you. Anything less than 0.410" is out of spec.
Yes, check a bunch of times.
You can lap the throats very easy by yourself. Do each until a boolit of the right size just pushes through. Takes time, the steel is hard but it pays off big time.
You might call Manson Reamers. They don't have a 41 cal. in the catalog but they might make one for you. I have a .431" with pilots I've been happy with.
knifemaker is offline Boolit Master Join DateDec 2009LocationMountain area of Northern CA.Posts222
Thanks for the replys. I have double checked my throats prior to posting and the slugged at .408. Used a mike, not calipers to check the dia of the soft lead slugs. I am considering honing the throats out.
I had cylindersmith do a Ruger 44 special for me a while back, but he is now only doing 45 cal. per his website. I do not recall even if he did 41 cal. when he was doing other calibers beside 45.I had Cylindersmith do my .45 Colt Blackhawk at the end of last year and at that time ask about having my .41 Mag done. My .41 (.41 Mag. Groove = .4119? Throat =.4117?.) He said, as you noted he was not doing anything but .45's and that his reamer was smaller than than my throats anyhow.

I am going to polish them with some 3M wet or dry polishing paper. Going slow and checking often.

Brooks


bgokk Patron Member NRA
The second amendment is the guarantee for all the other amendments...........
knifemaker is offline Boolit Master Join DateDec 2009LocationMountain area of Northern CA.Posts222
Fellas, thanks, here is a update. Problem solved. I happen to have a good flex hone of the right size. I honed all 6 throats to where I can thumb push a factory .410 jacket bullet though the throats. My push though jacket bullet was dead on at .410 with 4 measurements around the bullet. When I get a chance to get to the range, I expect better results and hopefully no more 3-4 inch groups at 25 yards.
I love my two Rugers, 44 spec. and 41 mag. but both did have undersize throats that had to be opened. Cylindersmith did my Lipsey 44 Spec. Blackhawk over a year ago and it went from 3 inch groups to groups around 1-1/2 inches with my cast hunting loads.
Again thanks to all for taking the time to respond to my question.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment