Thursday, May 16, 2013

Lyman vs Hornady checks question

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

quilbilly is offline Boolit Master Join DateDec 2009LocationQuilcene, WashingtonPosts885

In the past I have always used Hornady crimp-on checks and put them on through my Lee sizers. No problems. Today I got a "screaming-run-like-a-thief" deal on 22 cal Lyman checks at a local gun show. Will these checks go on the same way if I tumble lube the boolits with Alox before I put on the checks then size since I assume they are not a crimp-on like the Hornady? Are there any special tricks to using the Lymans? I got a great deal on some 25 cal checks at the same time.
Well back to my original question, Is Hornady making Lyman checks? I read it some where (An older Handloader I cant seem to locate) I know the plastic bag of copper checks that comes out of each companies box looks identical, as do their respective copper checks, however I know Lyman used to sell brass colored checks.
I would think its going to be if they are copper, they are similar enough, if they arent well it will be trial an error.
Pete
Lyman used to sell brass colored checks that were not the crimp on type that were not made by Hornady. The new Lyman checks are copper, are the crimp on type and are made by Hornady
quilbilly is offline Boolit Master Join DateDec 2009LocationQuilcene, WashingtonPosts885
These are definitely brass checks. They are in Ideal boxes. Got close to 3,000 for $1 (yes, one dollar so now you know why I felt like running like a thief). Even if I have to super glue them on before lubing and sizing, it might be worth the effort if anyone can tell me if they require any special treatment.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment