Friday, March 15, 2013

Em are iddy biddy wangs...

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I am casting .223 with my NOE .224 55 grain RCBS designed mold. Lately I am getting quite a few of the bullets that come out with wings on the tip. I have tried everything I can think of to the mold to get rid of these imperfections. Any advice? I'm not even sure what is the root cause.
The root cause is there is space between the blocks for lead to flow into. Why is there space? Lead or a burr on the face of the blocks? Peened / raised metal around the locating pin holes or edge of the blocks? Warped blocks? Handles not allowing the blocks to close? Handles not held tightly when pouring?

Run the trap line and close the gap.

Sometimes with the alloy too hot can do that also along with a hot mould.
LongPoint is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2005LocationS.E. TexasPosts160
Also, check the alignment pins and bushings to see that they are not "out" too far. My 5 cavity Noe 360-160-SWC mold had one bushing left a little proud which prevented it from closing as it should. I tried to lightly tap it in, no go, so I dressed it down with a dremel and a tapered stone. I'm sure it would have been taken care of, had I sent it back but it was an easy fix. Not to slam NOE molds, they are excellent, and I will not part with mine. It just shows that Swede and company are Human. Good Luck.

LongPoint

Also, check the alignment pins and bushings to see that they are not "out" too far. My 5 cavity Noe 360-160-SWC mold had one bushing left a little proud which prevented it from closing as it should. I tried to lightly tap it in, no go, so I dressed it down with a dremel and a tapered stone. I'm sure it would have been taken care of, had I sent it back but it was an easy fix. Not to slam NOE molds, they are excellent, and I will not part with mine. It just shows that Swede and company are Human. Good Luck.

LongPoint

To your point it looks like the wings are showing up in the wells next to the pin away from the handles. I have eliminated burrs/lead/anything preventing it from closing. I am not running the lead very hot, the mold isn't over hot. I suspect that it is the far pin not allowing complete closure....

Thanks!

LivnDream is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMay 2007Posts12
i have been having same trouble what i have found with my mold is if noses are finning mold is to hot

joe

Last edited by LivnDream; Yesterday at 05:46 PM.
prs is offline Boolit Master Join DateJun 2008Posts677
Ya gots da rite answers, so here is what your post title reminded me of from years and years ago:

M R DUCKS.

R NOT.

R 2, C M WANGS?

L I B, M R DUCKS!

prs

M R DUCKS.

R NOT.

R 2, C M WANGS?

L I B, M R DUCKS!

Mollards! u bat u!
M R DUCKS.

R NOT.

R 2, C M WANGS?

SHOT 1

C?

L I B, M R MERGANSERS!

(How come the software on this forum changes all caps into lower case unless you do something to 'fool it' ... like adding this note to the bottom? Is it afraid we will 'shout' at each other?)

Last edited by montana_charlie; Today at 10:23 AM.
Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment