Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Emptying the Lee Melter Furnace

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Gibbs44 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2013Posts18

I picked up a Lee Melter furnace. At the moment I'm casting for my 44 out of wheel weights, but I'll need to have that material out when I want to cast some pure for my muzzleloader. Since my dipper cannot get all of the lead out, other than tipping it up and letting the lead pour out, I cannot think of a safer/different way to empty this. I know bottom pours you pretty much set your ingot mold in place and let it go, what for this. If I am right, any unpleasant experience that I may be able to forgo with a little insight from one who has live through such an ordeal?

Thanks in advance.

why not cast all of the lead in there into boolits then carefully pour out the rest?
put your gloves on pick it up and pour it out same with a bottom pour as you never want it to run empty and drag all that junk though the valve oh I have mine set on a cookie sheet so any spill or splatter is easy to clean up
I've always just cast with/ladled out what I could, then picked it up with welding gloves and poured it into an ingot mold.
then it sounds like you got it down, that way should be your best bet.
Gibbs44 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateFeb 2013Posts18
Thanks, that's pretty much what I figured. I'll have to remember to empty a bottom pour the same way if I ever get one.
Do you have a large smelting pot? I would just pour it into my smelting pot and add more un-known lead alloy into it and make ingots for testing at a later date.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment