Saturday, April 27, 2013

Will these work for the 03A3 ?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I have not had good luck yet with my 03 shooting cast. I have tried .308 and .309 bullets to no avail.
Tried lots of powders/charges and different lubes, all GC bullets.
My bore slugs .3085 - .309 and looks new, CMP gauge is less then 1 muzzle wear.

Should I try 170gr. Lyman 311291 sized .310 - .311
Also would it hurt to try a 185 grain .311 RN for the .303 Brit. in my 03 ?

What boolit/powder combinations were you using? What alloy? Did you get any leading in the bore?
Hard to say what your troubles may be without knowing condition of the throat in your rifle.

.308 almost always too small. Mine like .310" best, but a worn throat may prefer .311". Try slugging only the first inch of your bore to see what you get. I take a case, drill out the primer for a 1/4" rod, then open the neck up to .312 or so. Slip the slug into the neck, insert into chamber and drive the slug in about half an inch. Then run another rod down from the muzzle and with the first rod held firm, give the muzzle rod a few taps to really expand the slug. Remove the chamber-end rod and the case, and drive the slug out. Measure. The boolit has to fit that part of the bore, or it'll never be accurate.

For worn throats the 311041 sized as large as will chamber should work better. Worked well in an old Savage .303 that I resurrected recently. Wish I had a .311467 mould. That one also should work well in worn throats.

"You are not a hoarder until you have exceeded a lifetime supply"
Will try to slug just the throat as described, it should be fine as the barrel has less then 500 rounds through it.

As for loads tried:
No idea of the alloy as I don't cast, but I get no leading, volocityhas been between 1550 - 1650fps.
Have tried 170, 173, 180 and 185gr. boolits all GC'ed and .308 and .309 flat and round nosed.
Powders used so far are 2400, 4759, of varying charges seated touching and just off the lands.
I'm going to try 4064 since I have a lot of this powder.
Best group at 50yds has been a about 1.5" but the norm has been 2" - 3" and would not call them groups

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment