Friday, April 26, 2013

.459 chambers but .462 won't

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Spokerider is offline Boolit Man Join DateOct 2005LocationBC CanadaPosts132

I'm in the process of choosing a mold for the Contender 45 70.
I have slugged the bore at .459
I have two different cast bullets I loaded into an empty case today, to check for ease of chambering.......or not. One is a Meister .459 plain base, and the other is a Mountain man custom .4615 GC boolit.

The .459 chamber easily and extracts easily. The .4615 does not chamber, it hangs up with about .250-.300 to go......obviously, it's to big.

So my question is.......should I order the mold in .459 or gamble and request it sized to .460? I don't have a .459 sizer, but I suppose I could buy one if it came down to needing one. I don't have a .460 boolit to try either.

knifemaker is offline Boolit Master Join DateDec 2009LocationMountain area of Northern CA.Posts224
I would gamble and get the .460 as that size should give you good accuracy and not lead the barrel as it will be 1 thousand over your groove dia. If it fails to seat, you can always get the common .459, but I am willing to bet the 460 will work.
I would go with the .461. Its easier to size down, than to size up.
The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Think about this in the long haul. You will, eventually, have sizing capacity. Molds are not that precise most of the time unless you exclusively buy custom made. Might as well plan that purchase into the process and get one when you can. Doesn't really matter what kind unless you are shooting a lot of competition, then save for a Star. The Lee style does not lube, the RCBS/Lyman does. Take your pick.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment