Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Reloading 380acp with lee dies

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

James6406 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts5

Having a little trouble getting enough case flare to accept the Mastercast 95 lrn bullets I purchased. I followed the instructions that came with the dies by setting the die to touch the shell holder then backing off 1 full turn. I could not get the bullet to begin seating when inserting by hand so I lowered the die 1/8 turn at a time and tested. Now at 1/2 turn lowered and the flare does not seem any wider and cannot seat the bullet base into top of the flared case by hand. Should I continue to lower the die or are the bullets too large in diameter? I am concerened about cramming the bullet into the case.
I am going to buy a set of digital calipers this afternoon and will post bullet and case dimensions after I measure. In the mean time, I would appreciate any input you folks can provide.
Last edited by James6406; Yesterday at 08:38 AM. Reason: Typo
once you have the die adjusted place a case in the shell holder and raise the ram and test the flare, if it is not enough flare then turn the knurled top down a half turn and test again until you get the flare just right. once the die body is set do not turn it any more. easy to do not so easy to explain.
Does the ram still go to the top of the stroke without any real force on it? If it doesn't the end of the expander may be bottoming inside the case. I had that happen on something I was trying to load and before I realized what was going on I had managed to swage the flash holes, on a few cases, just about closed. If the ram goes fully up without much force (read that as "almost none") screw the expander a little at a time, as has already been mentioned.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPWM36_ZuLk
Here is a video showing how to adjust an expander die. It shows an RCBS die, but the process is the same. The Lee die has a silver knurled knob on top that you use to adjust the expander. You don't move the whole die to adjust the expansion.
James6406 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPWM36_ZuLk
Here is a video showing how to adjust an expander die. It shows an RCBS die, but the process is the same. The Lee die has a silver knurled knob on top that you use to adjust the expander. You don't move the whole die to adjust the expansion.Thanks! I feel stupid but the Lee instructions said nothing about adjusting the knurled knob. There is no identification to the die like there is for the sizer. I thought the "turn inward" was for the entire die. The video explained it well including how the die works. I think I better do more studying before I load live rounds. I thought I understood what I was doing.
James6406 is offline Boolit Mold Join DateMar 2013Posts5
Anyone have suggested load using 95gr lrn? The powders I have been able to pick up are 700x and PowerPistol.
No need to feel stupid. That's what these forums are for. So you can ask questions and learn.

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp
This site has load info from users that they have found works well for them.

I suggest getting at least one good reloading manual the latest Lyman would be a good start. There is a lot to reloading and if you do it wrong, parts of you might come up damaged or missing. Don't skip this step and you will a lot happier.
"Is all this REALLY necessary?"
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment