Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Lube Question

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Hondo 60 is offline Boolit Bub Join DateSep 2010LocationManitowoc. WIPosts37

I've been casting for eons, well no, not really.
Actually I've been casting for about a month ...

I have 2 molds, both of 'em are Lee TL models.
I'm having a ton of fun with 'em.

The next mold I want does not come in a TL.
Can I still use LLA? I don't have a luberisizer.

Any special things I need to be concerned with do it this way?

I REALLY wish I had a mentor, but I don't know of any one who casts in my area.

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway - John Wayne
<><
When your holding a hammer everything looks like a nail - Bryan Glover
Yep, you can tumble lube regular lube groove bullets. You don't have to fill the grooves, just a surface coating will do. Have you tried 45-45-10 yet? Good stuff...
Hondo 60 is offline Boolit Bub Join DateSep 2010LocationManitowoc. WIPosts37
no, but that's next on my agenda.
I was thinking of making some, but I want empty LLA bottles to put it into.

I bought 2 new molds, so I have 2 full bottles, put most of a 3rd.

Or come payday, I just say to heck with it & buy some 45/45/10.
I've got the website bookmarked

Courage is being scared to death, but saddling up anyway - John Wayne
<><
When your holding a hammer everything looks like a nail - Bryan Glover
Ive just taken to leaving my 45/45/10 in the pan where i cooked it. Spilled too much and warped the bottles trying to get it in there. I did succeed once and that bottle has lasted many months, the rest is just sitting in the pan.

Decided to stock up on $.49 stainless sauce pans @ thrift store for this reason. Prob will need to add back the mineral spirits whenever i decide to try refilling the bottle. Or i will just melt the whole batch and use a spoon to doll out the tiny amounts needed to lube a lot of boolits.

Here might be a time saver: JPW is located in the cleaning section at lowes or home depot. One $4 can will be enough to make lube for many many thousands of boolits, and you already have the LLA. Honestly mineral spirits was my largest individual item purchase for this lube, but i got a gallon since the smaller containers seemed like rip offs. It comes in handy lots of places.

I made a coffee mug full of modified 45/45/10 lube about 3 years ago i'm still working on it.
I think I have gave away half of it, and used the rest on 5-6,000 boolits so far.
another 3-4,000 and i'll have to make some more.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

Yes , any boolit can be lubed with it but 45/45/10 will be better then straight Alox.
I am not an Alox fan because I think the flash point needs tempered.
no, but that's next on my agenda.
I was thinking of making some, but I want empty LLA bottles to put it into.I use a pint canning jar to store my 45-45-10. When I get it cooked down to have the desirable amount of solvents still in it, that's the way I want it to stay...so I keep it in a sealed jar.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I will be offering the GC seater plate for the lyman 45.
Also I have replacement springs for the Lyman 45 lubesizer, If your's is weak or missing, let me know
I made a coffee mug full of modified 45/45/10 lube about 3 years ago i'm still working on it.
I think I have gave away half of it, and used the rest on 5-6,000 boolits so far.
another 3-4,000 and i'll have to make some more.Pretty much the exact same situation I'm in except that Glenn sent me his maiden bottle of 45/45/10 which means I have so much of the stuff I'll be willing it the great-grandchildren I don't even have yet.

Above Reproach A novel in which a series of mass-shootings coordinated by anti-American officials inside the U.S. government threatens not only the Second Amendment, but the entire Bill of Rights until one armed citizen finds himself with his back against the wall and fights back.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment