Friday, April 19, 2013

Is bigger Bigger better?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

43PU is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJan 2013Posts13

I have a savage 110 in 308 win my wife wants to take hunting this year I have two molds that I was thinking about using a lee 150 flat nose of the lee 180 grn round nose. The shots we will take are around 200 yards. The question is which would do better? The 150 going 2000fps of the 180 going 1700? I need to keep recoil Down for her (5'2 115lbs) would the metplate really be that much better or would the extra weight be better should I use a shallow cup hollow point in the 180? The alloy is 75% coww and 25% pure water dropped. Thanks a ton
either will work well, use the one she can shoot better.
In my experience, when shooting cast going to a heavier boolit will usually give a bit better accuracy and of course hit harder. Going to a slower powder can help to mitigate felt recoil as well as it gives more of a push than a smack.
I use a 200 gr in my 308 it has a shallow cup. I shot a black bear with it last spring. It's running around 1600 fps and the recoil is mild.
Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.
43PU is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJan 2013Posts13
We went to the range and I loaded up 50 180 grn and 20 each of the 150 fn and 155 pointed all moving around 1900-2000fps a 5 shot group of the 180s at 50 yards was around an inch with vertical stringing. Though the wind was blowing around 30-40 mph and I was shooting fast so I'm not worried. However shooting a milk jug with the 150 flat nose was pretty awesome Ashley (my wife) wanted to shoot them all for the explosive effect. Now will ww alloy like this expand at that velocity or will a shallow cup be needed?
Good morning
All things equal I always go to the flat nose design. My favorite is the RCBS 180 grain FNGC. Has the extra weight for great penetration and that flat nose makes a solid "Thwack" every time. I also cast for hunting with 50-50 so have always had good expansion.
For practice I use straight WW. For hunting I use the 50-50 ( WW- range scrap) mix as out of my caliber .30's it shoots the same.
I would consider using your 180 RN but I would either file the nose flat or drill it. Have shot too many critters with RN designs that did not do a good job unless the shoulder was contacted.. then it does not matter. Shoulders will expand most any boolit design unless cast too hard which will shatter.
Mike in Peru
Last edited by missionary5155; Yesterday at 08:29 AM.
"Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
Impacted while hot small lava bomb Projectile found out in the desert.
The important thing is HOW WELL DID Ashley do with these loads?? How far will you be shooting at deer with them? They may do fine for under 100 yards,but miss a Moose at 200! I've used straight COWW alloy at 2000 fps in the 7-08 to take deer. I find a FN to work much better than a RN on deer. BOTH will kill them, but the FN SEEMS to shock them more. The RN seems to drill thru and doesn't shock them. I've used bulllets as light as 135 to 175 grains in the 7mm's . In the 30 calibers, I've used from 125 to 200+ grain bullets. Nearly all were gas checked and some did require a 2nd shot. I have often used a FN top punch to reform the nose of RN bullets for better(TO ME) field results. drilling a HP or grinding a FN on the nose MAY be a better solution. It IS possible to BEND a long bullet by compressing the nose,destroying accuracy potential.
43PU is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJan 2013Posts13
with the 180 grn i shot a group of 5 at 138 yards that you could cover with a silver dollar, though i think i might spend some money and get the RCBS 180 flat nose, for both effects, as a hunter we need to show the animals we hunt with some respect,

i feel sorry for everyone else my wife wont leave the range unless ALL the ammo is shot up, weather it is 8mm or 50 BMG

quilbilly is offline Boolit Master Join DateDec 2009LocationQuilcene, WashingtonPosts860
From my observations in my terminal ballistics tests with the 30 caliber, not only is the 150 adequate, you could also reduce the muzzle velocity a bit (to 1800) to make her felt recoil more comfortable if you keep shots under 200 (preferably under 150). If your goal is to make her successful and a permanent shooting enthusiast partner, it might be worth considering.
You haven't said what you're hunting or where. There's limitations and it sounds like you're pushing them. 200 yds., 150 gr., 1900 fps? What are you shooting? Standing broadside only?
quilbilly is offline Boolit Master Join DateDec 2009LocationQuilcene, WashingtonPosts860
One of the things that colors my opinions is that I have been hunting deer exclusively with muzzleloaders and patched round ball for decades. With that in mind, I have come to have the opinion that high velocity is overrated if you are using a soft lead expanding projectile. If your 30 cal projectile expands to 45 cal (my 45 PRB), your minimum terminal velocity is only about 1100 fps to do a fine job (avoiding Texas heart shots, of course, with apologies to my Texan friends).
So when my wife says I am heartless, does that mean I dont poop?
Cause I can prove that wrong.
I came into this world kicking, screaming, and covered in someone elses blood. I plan to go out the same way.
43PU is offline Boolit Mold Join DateJan 2013Posts13
we will be hunting on my private property where we can get a 500 yard shot if we choose, i choose the 200 yard distance so that we would have enough umph to do what we need, as for the how the deer will be standing that i do not know, all of our deer (kentucky) are around 150 on the big side

thanks again for the help

Either should work. My plan would be to put a sims recoil pad on it for her, even if its just a slip on. They are worth it imo. It made a major difference for my wife shooting full power .270 loads. Her tendency to flinch on recoil was drasticly reduced. The spot where the buttplate rests can be a bit more sensitive for ladies.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment