Monday, April 29, 2013

My First NOE mold

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I just bought my first NOE mold and so far it is OK, but how do you all keep the spru plate screw tight enough to not be a pain in the rear. So far this is the only mold I have had this problem with. It swings pretty wildly after the first whack or two.

It was interesting getting used to casting such a small bullet, but it is a very nice looking mold and once I got it up to temp it seemed to do just fine.

There is a set screw in the side of the mould block to keep the sprue plate screw from backing out. Warm up the mould, snug the screw till the plate is how you like it, and lock it with the set screw.
That is exactly what to do first casts with a NOE mold I was frustrated till I noticed the set screw , tightened and it is a dream now , Quite a heavy sprue plate on a 4 cavity , my what a sweet piece of machined work when you get it going and see how and what to do , am going back and forth with a 9mm mold that throws beautiful boolits , and then casting with a mihec mold for .357 , and also a NOE for the .45 , they are all great and am having a blast . Fine molds , wish to get more .
bowfishn is offline Boolit Buddy Join DateFeb 2011LocationVermontPosts60
I had to leave mine on the loose side or the base did not fill out well. Had to have enough space for the air to escape. I got the 5 cav. 44 200 gr RF , it seems to be a nice mold.
I snip a piece of copper wire to go in the hole 'tween the sprue plate screw and the set screw. Helps the set screw snug up without damaging the Sprue plat screw. I like to run my sprue plate loose to, something is too tight if you need to whack it, mine will move under its own weight.
I used a #9 shot pellet under my screw--seems to hold fast and hasn't melted. Had the pellets on the bench when I was looking for something to keep the screw threads from getting messed up
NRA Life
USPSA L1314
SASS 48747 L
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment