Monday, April 29, 2013

changing lubes in a sizer

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

If I want to try another lube in my sizer should I clean out the previous lube, and if so how?? Or could I just add the new type on top of the old and run it until I start getting the new stuff???
Melt it out. Either boil the whole thing in a pot with some dishwashing detergent (1 teaspoon per gallon of water) or use a heat lamp, heat 'gun', blow dryer, or the sizer base heater if you have one.

Gear

You can't fix Stupid, but you can occasionally head it off before it hurts something. --Stephen Adams

Being able to separate the wheat from the chaff has always been a valuable skill in all of life's activities. --Bwana

rbertalotto is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2011Posts940
Isn't it amazing that no one has developed a lube sizer cartridge, like a caulking gun so you could change lubes easily...???

What a PITA to change lubes......

I use a heat gun to get mine out.

oldrodder is offline Boolit Bub Join DateJan 2013LocationSudbury, ONPosts24
+1 for the heat gun, if your using hard lubes. For soft lubes like SPG, & DGL, I remove the sizing die and use a cordless drill with the proper 1/4" drive socket, and spin the screw in the same direction as "lubing" (COUNTERCLOCKWISE) and squeeze the lube out of the die cavity. Then I apply the heat gun for the last bits of lube. Works for me!

Mike

I know I have a problem! I'm not asking for a cure.......just the next fix!

Del-Ray is offline Boolit Man Join DateApr 2012LocationDetroitPosts127
If you have a boiler at your work, ask it's operator to stick it under his water sample blow out.

I'm a boiler operator, and when I need to clean out lube I take it to work and in about 6 seconds all the lube is gone. I also use it to melt the mystery lube out of bullets so I can use TAC#1 on them instead.

I guess 212 degree water at about 50 psi is just about perfect for getting rid of problem wax.

"Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."
Del-Ray-----Is Tac#1 a lube---why do you like it, etc, etc---where do you get it, etc, cost, etc
thanx HM77
Thanx Lotto---now I have something else to try and invent---but it would definitely be worth it ???
handy man the tac#1 is a lube you get here from vendor sponsor RandyRat as for price I don't remember, I haven't shot a lot with it but it worked well when I used it, check him out in the vendor sponsors section. Hope that helped out.
Change? Not this type. Can we just have a refund?
Del-Ray is offline Boolit Man Join DateApr 2012LocationDetroitPosts127
Indeed give randyrat a PM. TAC#1 is a medium hardness line.
I've used it for 45 colt, 44mag, and several other calipers. No leading. And those 44's were REALLY cruising. Keith must have been an investor in Tylenol.
"Just try to remember which end makes the bad guys go away."
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment