Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Lino and Pure mix for Carbine 9mm?

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

Utah Shooter is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2011LocationWoods Cross UTPosts648

I have been looking for the past couple of hours now and am not finding any answers! Is Hardball the best mix here or perhaps 2/1 pure/lino? I will also be shooting this our of an XDM as well!
I shoot WC CWW in my 9mm AR.. Loves em, eats em like M&Ms..
I don't have an AR but shoot a Camp Carbine. I'm running the same loads, Lee 356-125 2R cast from range scrap weighing 126 and sized to .358 over 5 grains of Unique. Pretty much the standard load for 9mm I've used since the 80s. They group nicely and are pretty darned quiet out of the 16" barrel. I'm dying to try some with plain based gas checks to see how the groups react. In my pistols they really tightened up. I also want to try the 356-102 1R with a PB check loaded a little warmer. They weigh 105 from range scrap and the check brought them to 109, also sized to .358 diameter. I ran some of those through two of my pistols and they were zippy fun. Too bad I didn't take the carbine with me that day.
"A person cannot exercise their right to speak freely if they have been stripped of their ability to defend themselves and repel those forces who would seek to quell their speech." Me
Utah Shooter is offline Boolit Master Join DateMar 2011LocationWoods Cross UTPosts648
Not trying to be rude but that is not really answering my question. I have no clue what WC CWW, 1R nor 2R means.

I understand the rest like the molds you are using. I am however not really understanding what mix I should use.

Utah, nothing rude about a legit question. WC CWW usually means water cooled clip on wheel weights. Some folks type COWW that are either AC air cooled or WC water cooled. There are lots of threads on hardness levels that work best for this or that cartridge. Some folks like theirs hard cast, I have had good luck with softer alloy and a decent lube. I've used Javalina, 50/50 bees wax/alox, home made loob, and most recently, White Label BAC. White Label is a vendor here.

1R or 2R is the ogive radius of the boolit. A 1R is 1x the radius of the boolit diameter, 2R is 2x the radius or a longer rounded nose. Rifle boolits can be 5R.

As far as mixing Lino with soft lead, there are threads that explain how much Lino mixed with soft lead and tin would give you a brinnel hardness level of X. You can read a lot of threads on the various subjects for which you have questions and the answers are there. You can also do as you have done and simply ask. Most folks here are pretty good at giving answers rather than grief.

On the subject of 9mm carbine loads, I have read an awful lot about not trying to load the 9 for the longer barrel as most carbines are designed to run standard pistol ammo. Some of what I read discussed the operating systems being designed for the typical pressure curve of pistol ammo.

The 9 is designed to launch out of a pistol length barrel and so the expanding gasses have pretty much done all they can do before reaching the end of a 16" barrel. That may explain why my standard load seems so quiet out of the longer tube. Oh ya, the Marlin is a blowback and I believe the AR platform is as well. Someone who owns one would better answer that question. The only thing I've seen regarding improved velocity in carbines is using slower powders like Blue Dot which burned a little longer in the 16" barrel. I haven't tested that theory personally. Unique has been working well for me and so I've stuck with that powder. Keep the questions coming, I'm sure lots of folks will chime in with their wisdom and experience.

"A person cannot exercise their right to speak freely if they have been stripped of their ability to defend themselves and repel those forces who would seek to quell their speech." Me
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment