Tuesday, April 23, 2013

I think Im ready for the next step.

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I have been casting for my 45, 40, and 9mm now for about a year. finnaly have that down pat. Short of when I buy a new pistol. There always seems to be a few quirks to work out.
Anyhow, I have a winchester model 1895. Chambered in 30-40 craig. Shoots great withall my reloads. Now I am going to start casting for it. I have done alot of reading and have gleened alot of info from the folks here aswell as my local mentor. I am on a bit of a budget so this is what I Have. 180 grain lee mold .309, Lee sizer and gas check seater, gas checks and some lube. Ofcourse my alloy as well. So I will be casting these tonight.
Any pointer from you guys would be appreciated. My alloy is straight weel wheight for the rifle bullets I am going to do.
My pistols have always been done with range scrap that has a bn of around 11 to 12 . I havnt tested the bn of the weel wheights yet.
I will post my results as well as picks if I can get them to upload. If you dont see lube on my bullets, rest assurd its there. I use rooster jacket as a tumble lube. works great and drys fast.
Back to the bench, I think my lead is melted.
water drop.
open the 309 die.
work your alloy so the nose engraves the rifling.
it's all an educated guess,,,, till the trigger is pulled.

the more i find out about shootin boolits, the more it contradicts everything i ever learned about shooting jaxketed.

bdoyle is offline I'm A Honcho! Join DateMar 2005LocationGardnerville, NvPosts237
I had a winchester 1895 in 30US (30-40 krag). Can't remember when it was made but the bore had seen better days. I had good luck with the lyman 314299 @ .312. I've since sold it to a friend who 'really' like old winchesters and moved on to a browning 95 in 30-40 krag. I feel it's a great cast cartridge.
I agree on opening up the sizing die, atleast to .310". Most of my .308" bores run .311" boolits. Accuracy is better and leading is non existent.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment