Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Seating depth with gaschecks

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I posted this in the Gas Check area and absolutely no responses at all. Someone with their vast experience on this board has to have a quick answer to this issue ......I hope. Maybe I titled in wrong so hopefully someone can help me here.This gascheck stuff is all new to me although I have been rolling my own for 30+ years,

I am loading for 30 Herrett and 357 Herrett and am trying to get a cast boolit load worked up. Question is , do you have to have the boolit seating depth such that the check is kept in the neck area of the case and not below the neck hanging in the open per say. I have plenty of throat depth to almost have the boolit totally out of the case so it is no problem with keeping it out far enough but some of the lube grooves are exposed in order to keep the check in the neck and not below it. I am using the Lee 30-180-SP in the 30 and Lyman 358315 200 gr in the 357.The 357 at 1st workup seems to shoot well with no leading but the boolit is way out there to keep the check in the neck. I do have it as deep as possible trying to keep as much of the lube grooves in the case as possible. Does it hurt to have the lube grooves exposed ? It is not an issue for me as it is a single shot and not a problem to use them like that just did not know if it was a good practice or not. Not be redundant but I also need to know if I can seat a gascheck below the neck area also.

I will also be doing the 357 SIG soon and that will be the same issue I am sure.......if I decide to use Gaschecks.

Nope. I seat my bullets below the neck and the results are un-noticeable. Seat your bullet as close to the lands as possible and you might find that you're not below the neck after all.
With the TC the throat is so long I can actually have the boolit barley seated and still not touch the lands so I am trying to keep it out as far as possible for better accuracy ( I hope ) but only one of the lube grooves are in the case the others are exposed at that OAL. The short necks on the 30 Herrett , 357 Herrett and 357 SIG are where I was getting concerned if I try to seat deeper.

i had read somewhere that the checks could possible pull off when they try to enter the neck if they are seated below it. Again, heresay but thought I would ask and get some opinions. When you think about it , if that were true they would try to pull off when entering the rifling also.
It is all a learning process.....

I think this is another example of theory and reality clashing. The Swiss K-31 has a short throat and seated boolit bases extend into the case body, without any apparant accuracy issues. I have a K-31 and its cast boolit accuracy is better than that of the notoriously accurate GP-1100 jacketed ammo.

Hornady and new Lyman (made by Hornady) gas checks are crimped on, and won't come off.

While the above has been my experience, it's not impossible that others have had different experiences.

I've read both sides of this discussion and am interested in replies. Some say lead exposed in the case, below the neck is apt to melt from the gasses and lead the barrel. Some say the gascheck will/can come off and destroy accuracy. Some say there is no difference at all...
Check the dates of the information. Old Lyman gas checks that did not crimp on, probably an issue in some cases. New Lyman and Hornaday gas checks that crimp on, I doubt any issue. I seriously doubt that the base of the boolit is exposed to the powder burn long enough to do any damage. After all, a plain base boolit is exposed to the powder burn no matter where it is seated.
Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

plainsman456 is offline Boolit Master Join DateFeb 2011Posts418
The only ones i have had come off was when i was taking some out of cases.

On those that did not come off i went out and shot them at the ground.

Exposed lube grooves or deep seated boolits have never been a problem for me, I always seat out as far as I can and still have good support for the boolit.
Calamity Jake

NRA Life Member
SASS 15704
Shoot straight, keepem in the ten ring.

Thanks guys for the info so far. I quess I will head to the range with what I have so far and see what results I get. I started using the PB gas checks from Pat and they did great on my 9MM so my next step is I may try them on my 357 Sig. That is where I figured i would have the issue since the neck is so short on it. I am shooting cast in it now with fairly good results but figured if I get into major lead issues moving forward and go with the PB gaschecks I needed to know about the checks seating below the neck.

Issues with the 357 Herrett have not really been a problem just looks funky with the lube grooves exposed and seated out so far. Just gearing up for the 30 Herrett now. Quess I will try to seat a little deeper and see what the effects will be. No pressure signs at all yet.

You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment