Monday, April 22, 2013

Lee Collete Die

Cast Boolits - Dedicated To The World Of Cast Bullets!

I haven't ever used a Lee Collete sizing die. How do the jaws get activated to squeeze the neck of the case to size. Does the case shoulder push the jaws to resize the neck. Or does the shell holder activate the sizer.
I am trying to find a system to size all the different 30 cal. cases I load for. If I am looking at the dimensions correct. A lee 308 Collete die should be able to size the necks of my 30/30, 300 Sav, 3006. Then I would use Ben's modification to the die. Using a 303 savage mandrel.
Last edited by kbstenberg; Today at 06:02 PM.
The case shoulder, contacting the inside of the collet, is what causes the collet to move and squeeze the case neck.
The case shoulder, contacting the inside of the collet, is what causes the collet to move and squeeze the case neck.Actually, it's the shellholder. The collet protrudes below the die body and the shellholder pushes the collet up.

So you would need a collet die for every different length case of the same bore diameter you want to size.

You COULD get one for the shortest and fattest case you will size, then make a spacer to sit on top of your shellholder to make up the difference for the longer cases. Of course the decapping rod will then be too short to deprime the case.

I had planned to do this with a 7BR set I have to collet neck size 7TCU, but never bothered.

Lee parts list show the collet for $9, the sleeve for $4 and the decapping pin/mandrel for $4.

Some part numbers may be the same over different calibres, so you MAY be able to change one die to another calibre for about $17 or less.

Prior to posting, I tried one and the shoulder pushed the collet up long before the shellholder came into contact with the die.
Prior to posting, I tried one and the shoulder pushed the collet up long before the shellholder came into contact with the die.Interesting! I would have thought with the force needed to actuate the collet, it would push a shoulder back.
First time I used one I imagined you really had to use a lot of force - WRONG!!- Lee repaired it for free.
A collection of washer thicknesses can turn a short Lee collet die into a fairly universal die since it is the shellholder that pushes the collet. I first used a .308 die for my 7.62x54r, but it ended up being to short of a neck for a .30-40 Improved. I added .303 Brit and .30-30 dies and some extra mandrels I turned to size to cover longer necks and different bore sizes.
Oops. Though, in the case of the die I used as a test, the shoulder started the collet moving, the shellholder is what applies the force to close the collet. I stand corrected.
You may not post new threadsYou may not post repliesYou may not post attachmentsYou may not edit your postsForum Rules

Abbreviations used in Reloading
Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt"


View the original article here

0 comments:

Post a Comment